Saints demolish Bulls

  • Last Updated: May 11 2014, 17:28 BST

A review of the weekend's action in the First Utility Super League as St Helens battered Bradford on Sunday.

Luke Walsh: Scored one of St Helens' tries v Bradford
Luke Walsh: Scored one of St Helens' tries v Bradford

Luke Walsh scored a try and kicked seven goals from nine attempts as St Helens moved back to within a point of leaders Leeds through a 50-0 mauling of second from bottom Bradford at Odsal on Sunday.

Saints, who ended a run of three defeats a win over basement club London Broncos the previous week, again demonstrated a gulf in class between the opposite ends of the table with a comprehensive nine-try display.

The Lancashire side touched down four times in the first half and added five more tries in the second.

The relegation-threatened Bulls ended a dismal run of eight straight Super League defeats with battling recent cup and league victories over Catalans and Warrington but this result plunges them back into deep trouble as Wakefield, Salford and Hull KR - the sides immediately above them prior to the weekend - all picked up vital points.

Ukuma Ta'ai grabbed two tries as Huddersfield battled to a hard-fought 30-16 win over the Broncos in London on Saturday afternoon.

Ta'ai struck in each half as the Giants made it four Super League wins on the bounce.

The still-winless Broncos however will feel as though they should have taken something from the contest, having led 16-10 at half-time thanks to tries from Atelea Vea, Alex Foster and Denny Solomona, two of which were converted by the boot of Joshua Druinkwater.

Huddersfield's other tries came from Shaun Lunt, Antony Muillally and Leroy Cudjoe, with Danny Brough adding all the extras.

The evening game saw Salford hold on for a point against Hull KR to halt their four-match losing run on captain Adrian Morley's 37th birthday - but there was little else to celebrate from a dreadful game that mirrored the miserable Manchester weather.

Veteran winger Francis Meli scored two of the Red Devils' tries in a 16-16 First Utility Super League draw which probably left both teams dissatisfied.

Martin Gleeson was Salford's other try scorer, while Kris Welham, Kevin Larroyer and Neville Cositgan all crossed for Rovers with Travis Burns converting twice.

Makeshift full-back Dan Sarginson scored a hat-trick of tries as injury-hit Wigan bounced back from their crushing defeat to Leeds with a 44-16 rout of Hull on Friday night to climb into the top three for the first time this year.

Centre Anthony Gelling also caught the eye with a devastating two-try display as the Warriors shrugged off the absence of seven regulars to condemn Hull to their heaviest defeat of the season.

It was Hull's third home defeat of the league campaign and, without another game at the KC Stadium for two months as the pitch is relaid, Lee Radford's men must regroup quickly on the road if they are to retain their top-eight spot.

Warrington centre Joel Monaghan passed the 100-try milestone on his 100th appearance for the club as Tony Smith's side returned to winning ways with a convincing 42-10 victory over the Catalan Dragons.

Monaghan, in his fourth year with the Wolves since his move from the NRL in 2011, hit the 100-try mark with the opening try of the game and he soon made it 101 as he claimed two first half tries in the 42-10 success.

Stand-off Chris Bridge was once again among the points as he finished with a personal haul of 18 points with a try and seven goals at at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

Warrington's other tries came from Stefan Ratchford, Anthony England, Micky Higham and James Laithwaite - for whom it was a first Super League try.

The Dragons could only manage consolation tries through Vincent Duport and Morgan Escare and a William Barthau conversion on another disappointing night.

Paul Sykes sent Widnes crashing to their first defeat in four matches as his last-gasp try handed Wakefield a 24-18 win at the Stobart Stadium.

Sykes swept over with the last play of the match to settle a rousing contest with Jarrod Sammut landing the conversion.

Wakefield had led 12-0 before Widnes hit back to level by the break.

Widnes switched Jack Owens to full-back in the absence of injured Rhys Hanbury with Declan Hulme called up on the wing and he notched two tries.