Giants beat Cas in thriller

  • Last Updated: May 4 2014, 17:48 BST

A review of the weekend's action in Super League as Huddersfield narrowly got the better of Castleford.

Huddersfield Giants Jason Chan (left) is tackled by Castleford Tigers Daryl Clark
Huddersfield Giants Jason Chan (left) is tackled by Castleford Tigers Daryl Clark

Huddersfield captain Danny Brough sealed a third consecutive win for his side in the First Utility Super League with a late drop goal to inflict only a third defeat of the season on Castleford.

The Scotland captain finally settled a pulsating encounter at the John Smith's Stadium six minutes from the end, taking his points tally for the Giants to 997 with the kick that earned his side a 29-28 victory.

Huddersfield winger Jermaine McGillvary was among the tryscorers on his 100th appearance for the club as Castleford missed the chance to go second in the table ahead of the visit of leaders Leeds on Thursday.

Bradford secured their first Super League win in eight games with a 34-28 victory over Warrington, which lifted the Bulls off the foot of the table for the first time since being docked six points for entering administration earlier this year.

Tries from Adrian Purtell (two), Jamie Foster, Brett Kearney, Tom Olbison and Elliot Kear, plus five goals from Foster, helped the hosts back up their recent Tetley's Challenge Cup fifth-round success with another win - and also ended a 10-game losing streak against the Wolves dating back to June 2009.

Warrington, still struggling to get into top gear this season, replied with tries from Anthony England, Chris Bridge, Kevin Penny, Joel Monaghan, and Matty Russell, with Bridge adding four conversions, but it was not enough to prevent the 2013 Grand Finalists from slipping to a fourth defeat in six games.

Widnes left it late to beat Hull KR 34-29 with two tries in the final seven minutes to remain in the mix at the top of the table.

They trailed 29-22 after 73 minutes before stunning their hosts with a late double to snatch victory.

Wakefield produced a stunning fightback to end a run of five successive defeats with a 23-16 victory over Hull in a feisty match at the KC Stadium.

The Black and Whites appeared to be on course for a routine win at 16-0 up but Wakefield dug deep to score 23 unanswered points and leave their hosts stunned.

Catalan Dragons eventually ran out 37-24 winners against the Salford Red Devils in a game that saw the lead change hands no less than five times on Saturday in Perpignan.

Catalan raced into a 16-0 lead with two tries from Morgan Escare and one from Daryl Millard, but Salford fought back with tries from Francis Meli, Danny Williams and Greg Eden.

Zeb Taia got the hosts back in front just after the interval, before Gareth Hock scored Salford's only try of the second half, but Leon Pryce touched down again for the hosts and Escare added his third try late on.

Leeds produced a masterclass to end Wigan's eight-match winning run and return to the top of the table with a hugely-impressive 28-12 victory at Headingley on Friday night.

The Rhinos' star-studded outside backs were once more the stars of the show, with England trio Ryan Hall, Tom Briscoe and Zak Hardaker all scoring tries to condemn the reigning champions to their third defeat of the domestic season.

It can be no coincidence that all three defeats have come in the absence of influential skipper Sean O'Loughlin, whose injury jinx struck again on the eve of Friday's Roses clash.

O'Loughlin's frustration was in marked contrast to the pride of his opposite number Kevin Sinfield, who led his team to a spectacular win on his record-equalling 416th Super League appearance with four goals as Danny McGuire and Liam Sutcliffe also claimed tries for the home side.

Wigan scored two tries but both were scrappy efforts from close range from Tony Clubb and Scott Taylor. 

New Sky Bet customers: Free matched bet up to £30