Broncos off the bottom

  • Last Updated: March 17 2013, 18:17 GMT

A review of the weekend's Super League action, as London climbed off the bottom and Huddersfield extended their lead at the top.

Adrian Purtell: Welcome return to action for Bradford
Adrian Purtell: Welcome return to action for Bradford

London Broncos produced an impressive second-half show in difficult conditions to climb off the bottom of the Super League table with their second successive away win.

Trailing 12-6 at half-time, they stunned Castleford with three converted tries in a blistering eight-minute spell early in the second period.

Chris Bailey bagged two tries and Michael Witt landed five goals from five kicks as the Broncos clambered above fellow strugglers Castleford.

London's other tries cames through Michael Robertson and Craig Gower.

Kirk Dixon and Craig Huby crossed for the hosts, who led 12-6 at the break.

In Sunday's other game, Adrian Purtell celebrated his much-publicised comeback by helping injury-stretched Bradford extend their unbeaten run to three games with a 34-12 victory over Hull KR.

Purtell had not played since suffering a heart attack on the way home from the Magic Weekend defeat to Leeds last May but, having been given the all-clear by specialists during the week, the 28-year-old Australian came off bench to rapturous applause after 24 minutes.

At that stage the Bulls had already crossed twice through Jamie Foster and Brett Kearney to hold a narrow lead and went on to add three more first-half tries as error-strewn Rovers struggled to get into the game.

One of those tries was scored by teenage England Academy international John Bateman, who was also on the comeback trail having been out of Super League action since last August following a shoulder reconstruction.

Elliot Kear and Jarrod Sammut also crossed before the interval - the hosts were 26-6 up at half time.

Sammut also went in after the break. Josh Hodgson and David Hodgson scored the visitors' tries.

On Saturday, Huddersfield were forced to show all their defensive qualities to grind out an ugly 24-10 win over Hull FC that took them three points clear at the top of the table.

Huddersfield dominated the opening quarter but only had an opportunist try from hooker Shaun Lunt to show for their efforts as he dummied his way past a sprawling Chris Green and Danny Brough added the conversion to put his side into a 6-0 lead.

Hull's only first-half try came from second-rower Ben Galea, who took Danny Houghton's short pass on the burst to crash through the Huddersfield defence.

Ben Crooks put Hull ahead when he followed up a grubber kick by full-back Shannon McDonnell to touch down.

Holdsworth's goal made it 10-6 but the lead was short-lived as Huddersfield recovered from their lethargy.

Murphy scored the Giants' second try, touching down at the corner after centre Joe Wardle had cleverly flicked on Brough's cut-out pass.

Huddersfield extended their lead after 65 minutes when Wardle finished off the best move of the match, breaking out of his own half and taking a return pass to touch down for his side's third try, before Leroy Cudjoe broke away to send full-back Scott Grix over for the game's final try.

Catalan Dragons continued their habit of coming from behind at home to Widnes to seal a convincing 46-14 win.

Widnes contributed well and deserved more from the game - but they failed to score a point in the second half as Leon Pryce dominated the game for the home side.

The visitors scored three early tries through Patrick Ah Van (2) and Dave Allen, but the hosts hit back with Thomas Bosc, Steve Menzies, Louis Anderson, Oliver Elima, Damien Blanch, William Barthau, Mathias Pala and Zeb Taia all crossing with Bosc slotting over seven kicks.

Wigan missed out on the chance to go top as Leeds atoned for their humiliating 50-8 defeat last season with an 18-14 victory in an uncompromising clash at Headingley on Friday night.

It was the Warriors' second defeat of the season and once more came in the absence of England star Sam Tomkins, who missed out after picking up a "dead" leg in his club's last training session.

Clearly stung by their 32-8 home defeat by Huddersfield a week earlier, the Rhinos were a side transformed and took an early lead with England winger Ryan Hall's sixth try of the season.

Wigan clearly missed the creative skill of Tomkins but they struck back on 17 minutes when half-backs Matty Smith and Blake Green combined to get second rower Liam Farrell racing through a gap in the Leeds defence to claim his fourth try of the campaign.

With Pat Richards feeling the effect of a knock, Smith took the goalkick to level the scores and then edged his side in front on 29 minutes with a penalty after Rhinos second rower Jamie Jones-Buchanan was pulled up for foul play.

Early in the second half Josh Charnley spilled Kevin Sinfield's kick to the corner which gifted a try to Leeds centre Joel Moon.

Sinfield added his second conversion, which brought up the 3,500th point of his career, to make it 12-8 before Jones-Buchanan tore past some tired limbs for a third try after 57 minutes and the following extras opened up a 10-point lead.

The deficit was reduced to just four on the hour after Smith converted Iain Thornley's try but Leeds held on for a welcome victory.

Richie Myler tormented his old club and registered his 100th career try as Warrington returned to winning ways with a convincing 46-4 victory at Salford.

Tony Smith's men, beaten 48-24 in the corresponding fixture last term, came into this match on the back of successive defeats to Hull KR and St Helens.

However, the title-chasers were barely troubled as they inflicted a blow to Alan Hunte's hopes of being appointed Salford coach on a full-time basis.

Former Reds half-back Myler crossed for one try in between playing a significant role in two others as the Wolves racked up 28 unanswered points inside 44 minutes.

Gareth Owen's 55-metre score gave Salford belated reason for cheer, but Myler then laid on another four-pointer for Brett Hodgson and followed Ryan Atkins' second try with a second of his own as Warrington finished with a flourish.

Finally, Jonny Lomax scored 28 points in a dazzling individual display as St Helens overpowered Wakefield 52-18 to claim their first Super League home win of 2013.

The 22-year-old, looking increasingly assured at full-back, claimed a hat-trick of tries and kicked a near-perfect eight goals as Saints broke the Wildcats' resistance at Langtree Park.

The hosts ran in nine tries in total in what ultimately proved a dominant display with Jordan Turner crossing twice and Alex Walmsley, Louis McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Tommy Makinson and Lance Hohaia also getting over.

Despite trailing, Wakefield had been competitive at 28-18 midway through the second half but Lomax changed the course of the game with two tries in quick succession.

Wakefield, despite another try-scoring display from in-form winger Ben Cockayne and showing plenty of spirit, left the field dejected after a tough closing period.

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week