Poore performance as Wildcats crash

  • Last Updated: December 26 2012, 17:47 GMT

Wakefield's Australian prop Justin Poore made an unforgettable first appearance on British soil when he was sent off against Super League champions Leeds for sparking a Boxing Day brawl.

Poore: Fists flying on Boxing Day

The 27-year-old former Parramatta forward was given his marching orders by referee Jamie Leahy after clashing with Leeds prop Ryan Bailey just 20 minutes into the festive challenge match at Headingley.

Poore had already conceded three penalties in an inauspicious start to his Wakefield career and he could now miss the start of Super League XVIII in February if he is banned by the disciplinary committee.

Bailey was sin-binned for his part in the fracas, along with team-mate Mitch Achurch, who was also making his first appearance in British rugby league, and Wakefield winger Ben Cockayne.

Leeds hooker Paul McShane, making his return from a loan spell with Widnes, became the fourth player to be shown a yellow card when he was sin-binned on 57 minutes for a high tackle.

Wakefield, fielding a near full-strength team, were never able to overcome their numerical disadvantage as they went down to a makeshift Leeds outfit in front of a crowd of 9,347.

Star of the show was acting captain Danny McGuire, one of three members of the Rhinos' Grand Final-winning team, while new faces Joe Vickery and Joel Moon also caught the eye on Leeds' new £1million pitch.

Vickery, a 23-year-old Australian trialist, boosted his chances of securing a contract by scoring two well-taken tries in the first 22 minutes while Moon was named the Rhinos' man of the match.

It was from McGuire's perfectly-judged grubber kick that Vickery opened the scoring on five minutes, although Wakefield hit the champions with two well-executed tries in three minutes from skipper Danny Kirmond and new signing Reece Lyne to take a 12-6 lead.

A superb one-handed pass from ex-Salford centre Moon gave the impressive Vickery the chance to jink his way over for his second try and delicate footwork from McShane created the first of two touchdowns for prop Brad Singleton.

McShane's second conversion made it 16-12 but Cockayne brought the scores level on the stroke of half-time when he took Lyne's pass to score the visitors' third try.

Leeds edged back in front four minutes into the second half when McGuire's long pass got winger Jimmy Watson over for their fourth try and the England half-back took complete control to create further tries for winger Jamel Chisholm, substitute Alex Foster and Moon.

Centre Dean Collis and former Leeds full-back Richard Mathers added further tries for the Wildcats and Paul Sykes kicked a third goal but Leeds had the final say when Singleton went over for their eighth try, with McShane kicking his fourth goal from six attempts.

Meanwhile, Grand Final runners-up Warrington scored five tries to four to beat neighbours Widnes 30-22 at the Stobart Stadium.

The Wolves' tries came from Garreth Carvell, James Mendeika, Mike Cooper, Ben Currie and Micky Higham, with Gareth O'Brien kicking five goals.

Widnes scored tries through Danny Craven (two), Patrick Ah Van and Gareth Owens, who also kicked three goals.

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week