Sinfield welcomes Chase stay

  • Last Updated: October 24 2012, 16:40 BST

New England captain Kevin Sinfield has welcomed the news that his England half-back partner Rangi Chase will still be in Super League in 2013, describing it as a "huge boost" for the English game.

Rangi Chase: Staying with Castleford

Castleford moved to end speculation over the immediate future of their star player by confirming he would remain at the club in 2013 after a move to St George Illawarra failed to materialise.

  • Profiles

It seemed the 2011 Man of Steel was on his way out of England when the Tigers revealed the player had entered into negotiations with his old Australian club.

But those talks have stalled and Chase, who was recently ruled out of England's autumn internationals after picking up a groin injury on their training camp in South Africa, has now agreed to remain with Castleford for at least one more season.

Tigers chief executive Steve Ferres said on Wednesday: "Having spoken to Rangi, he is happy to be staying at the club and is meeting with the Castleford physio today to assess his groin injury so he can be ready for the pre-season friendlies in January."

The move delighted Sinfield, who was Chase's half-back partner in all five of England's internationals in 2011.

"I'm a big fan of Rangi," said Sinfield at England's training camp in Preston. "I roomed with him last week in South Africa.

"I felt our relationship on the field has grown and grown and it's a loss that he won't be part of the squad for the next few weeks.

"I think it's good for the British game that we can keep hold of Rangi.

"There is obviously a threat from the NRL now with their salary cap increasing and being able to poach one or two of our players.

"I think it's a huge boost that Rangi will stay in our competition."

The 26-year-old New Zealand-born Chase still has three years left on his Castleford contract after signing a new deal only 12 months ago but he has been the subject of increasing speculation since being suspended by his club in June for breaching rules on drinking alcohol before a match.

The Tigers had sanctioned a move to Hull but that fell through due to visa difficulties but said they were determined to resolve the matter before the weekend.

Ferres added: "We are delighted that the situation has been resolved and we are looking forward to seeing him regain the form that led to him being crowned Man of Steel in 2011."


Click here for a completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet