Wooden spoon for Widnes

  • Last Updated: September 9 2012, 18:06 BST

A review of the weekend's action so far in the Stobart Super League, including victories for Warrington and Huddersfield.

Chris Riley: Scored two tries for Warrington

Widnes ended up with the wooden spoon in their first season back in Stobart Super League after a thumping 52-14 derby defeat at home to Warrington on Sunday.

The Vikings needed a shock win over the Challenge Cup winners to climb above Castleford but were outplayed after being level 6-6 midway through the first half.

Warrington scored 10 tries and the winning margin would have been even more convincing had they not missed four first-half conversion attempts.

Chris Riley and Mickey Higham each grabbed a brace of touchdowns for the Wolves, who host St Helens on Saturday in the play-offs.

Rhys Williams, Stefan Ratchford, David Solomona, Chris Hill, Ryan Atkins and Paul Wood scored Warrington's other tries while Frank Winterstein, Paul McShane and Rhys Hanbury crossed for Widnes.

In Sunday's other game, Huddersfield thrashed Leeds 48-24 to complete their first league double over the Rhinos for more than half a century and go into the play-offs on a high.

The Giants re-discovered the form that enabled them to top the table after 12 rounds as they now prepare for their play-off trip to Hull FC next Sunday.

For the reigning Super League champions, however, the Rhinos must pick themselves up quickly for their clash with Wakefield next Saturday.

Huddersfield's Leroy Cudjoe and Luke Robinson scored two tries each while Luke George, Michael Lawrence, Danny Brough and Scott Grix also crossed for the hosts.

Leeds' tries came from Jimmy Keinhorst, Ryan Hall, Kallum Watkins, Carl Ablett and Jamie Peacock.

Bradford's gallant bid to make the play-offs ended in France on Saturday as a 50-28 victory for the Catalan Dragons ensured Wakefield will finish in the top eight.

Having fought the odds all season owing to the off-the-field troubles at the club, Bradford went into the game knowing that because of a six-point deduction they had to win and hope Wakefield then lost at Salford.

However, with the Dragons running in 10 tries, Wakefield's result became irrelevant, with Bradford's plucky attempt coming to nothing. In any case, the Wildcats went on to win.

Were it not for the deduction, issued to them after they entered administration in July, Bradford would have made the grade by some distance.

Their season is now over, though, and the focus will shift to the future of coach Mick Potter - who worked for free for two months after being made redundant - and a number of leading players.

Wakefield's reward is a visit to Leeds next weekend, while the Dragons, fourth-placed finishers, will take on Wigan.

Catalan were shocking in the opening stages and were 10-0 down in the blink of an eye as Michael Platt took Luke Gale's pass to go in, with Jarrod Sammut not far behind him off a Jason Crookes ball.

But Gale conceded a penalty to give Catalan position and Clint Greenshields made the most of it, taking in Scott Dureau's pass to cross, before Sammut dropped Dureau's bomb and let Vincent Duport in.

That was it for Bradford's challenge as Ian Henderson and Dureau linked up to put Setaimata Sa over the line, while Louis Anderson got in on the act when he wriggled his way out of a tackle.

Sammut then got his second when he supported Keith Lulia's run, and the livewire half-back had a first-half hat-trick when he chased his own chip, celebrating by grounding the ball as part of a forward roll.

Catalan had the measure of the Bulls, though, and blew them away after the break, with Steve Menzies going 60 metres to score against his old club and then Daryl Millard touching down in a tight corner.

Greenshields and Dureau stretched things out further before Sammut added his fourth.

Greenshields had the final world, wrapping up his hat-trick when he pounced on a loose ball following Dureau's kick.

Wakefield posted a club record seventh consecutive Super League win - 42-34 - to ensure they go into the play-offs in fine form.

Winger Ben Cockayne scored the 100th try of his career as the in-form Wildcats put Salford to the sword in front of a crowd of just 2,380 at the Reds' temporary home at Leigh Sports Village.

Frankie Mariano, Andy Raleigh, Dean Collis, Paul Johnson, Peter Fox and Lee Smith also crossed the whitewash, but Tim Smith was their star performer.

Late tries from Ashley Gibson (2) and Matty Ashurst - adding to earlier efforts from Danny Williams, Sean Gleeson and Vinny Anderson - made the scoreline close, but in truth the Reds were well beaten.

Elsewhere, Kieran Dixon and Michael Robertson ran in two tries each as the London Broncos ended their season on a high by beating Hull KR 48-42.

The full-back and winger grabbed a try apiece in each half as the Londoners made it four wins from their final five games of the campaign in a thrilling finale.

Omari Caro, Chris Bailey, Olsi Krasniqi and Luke Dorn also crossed for the hosts who led 24-12 at the beak, with Craig Gower adding eight conversions.

Constantine Mika claimed two tries for Rovers who also had scores from Mickey Paea, Richard Beaumont, Dave Peterson, Chris Heil, Ben Galea and Michael Dobson, who also added four goals.

Rangi Chase gave Castleford's fans a brief reminder of what they may be losing out on next season but the England international's performance was not enough to stop Hull easing to a 36-10 win.

Chase is being openly courted by Hull for 2013 and did his best in increasing one-way traffic to show off his talents to his prospective employers.

But it was a Hull player set for pastures new who turned the game, with St Helens-bound Willie Manu lighting up the KC one more time with his destructive running.

Hull brought an end to their regular season and headed into the play-offs next week with a comfortable victory that owed everything to a dramatically improved second-half display.

A try each for Manu and Tom Briscoe and a score for Castleford's Jordan Thompson were brief highlights of a scrappy first-half that saw little between two under-performing sides.

Buoyed by an early second-half score from Richard Horne, Hull then proceeded to justify their top-six billing, running away with the second-half thanks to three further tries.

St Helens put a dampener on Wigan's end-of-season celebrations as they prevailed 26-18 to gain their first win in four attempts against their rivals and secure a third-place finish.

The Warriors, already guaranteed top spot and a home tie next Friday against Catalan Dragons or Leeds, never fully recovered from the early dismissal of hooker Michael McIlorum which meant they played 65 minutes of the match with 12 men.

McIlorum was shown a red card by referee James Child for a late and high tackle on St Helens prop Anthony Laffranchi and could miss the start of the Warriors' play-off campaign through suspension.

Wigan, who were presented with the league leaders' shield after the match, fought valiantly against the odds in front of a crowd of 21,522 at the DW Stadium but St Helens thoroughly deserved their victory, with Tony Puletua playing a huge role in it.