Wigan clinch shield; Wolves win

  • Last Updated: September 2 2012, 21:13 BST

A review of the weekend's action in the Stobart Super League, including wins for Wigan and Warrington.

Josh Charnley: Scored for Wigan

Wigan clinched the League Leaders Shield with a comeback 42-36 victory over Hull KR at New Craven Park on Sunday.

Late tries from Pat Richards, who crossed twice in the match, and Josh Charnley broke the hearts of the home side as the visitors secured Shaun Wane's first piece of silverware as Warriors coach with the triumph.

Wigan's other tries came from Brett Finch, Darrell Goulding, Gareth Hock, George Carmont and Liam Farrell while Craig Hall, Ben Galea, Jake Webster, David Hodgson and Lincoln Withers with two managed to cross for the hosts.

Warrington served up a 10-try show to prove there was no hangover from their Wembley celebrations as they thrashed Huddersfield 54-6 at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

The end result may have been a resounding one, but the Wolves did not have matters all their way until just before half-time when they were level 6-6.

Brett Hodgson followed up his man-of-the-match performance in the Challenge Cup final win over Leeds with another impressive display against his old club.

Hodgson scored a try, helped set up three others and also kicked seven goals with a hat-trick from Joel Monaghan.

Chris Bridge, Stefan Ratchford, Richie Myler, Rhys Williams, Ryan Atkins and Chris Hill scored Warrington's other tries while Scott Grix crossed for Huddersfield.

Wakefield captain Danny Kirmond was the hero as the in-form Wildcats beat Widnes 22-18 for a sixth successive win to climb into the play-offs for the first time this season.

The Wildcats trailed for most of the match against a fired-up Widnes team seeking back-to-back wins for the first time in their efforts to avoid the wooden spoon, but Kirmond ended their resistance with a long-range try five minutes from the end.

The victory lifts the Wildcats above Bradford into eighth place with one match left of the regular season.

Kyle Amor, Richard Mathers and Ali Lauitiiti scored the other three tries for Wakefield, who go to Salford in their last match, while Rhys Hanbury (twice) and Paddy Flynn crossed for the visitors.

Ryan Hudson, Nick Youngquest and Stuart Jones all scored tries on their farewell home appearances for Castleford but it was not enough to prevent their team going down to a sixth successive Super League defeat as they lost 46-26 at home to Catalan Dragons.

Tigers captain Danny Orr, another man playing his last match at the Probiz Coliseum as he edges closer to retirement, also got on the scoresheet with three goals but the Catalan Dragons were in no mood for sentiment as they cruised to victory.

Full-back Clint Greenshields and winger Damien Blanch both scored hat-tricks as the French side secured their first away win for two months to reclaim fourth place in the table, while the Tigers are in serious danger of collecting the wooden spoon in coach Ian Millward's first season.

Vincent Duport and Setaimata Sa scored Catalan's other two tries while Grant Millington and Richard Owen also crossed for Castleford.

On Saturday, England winger Tom Briscoe scored a hat-trick of tries as Hull turned party-poopers by putting a huge dampener on Bradford's celebrations at finding a buyer for the ailing club with a 70-6 success at Odsal.

New owner Omar Khan and local MP Gerry Sutcliffe were given a rapturous welcome when introduced to the 10,616 crowd before kick-off at the club's final home game of the season but the Bradford fans had little else to cheer as the Bulls suffered a first defeat at Odsal since the club went into administration in June.

The Bulls conceded 13 tries in their biggest loss of the year, which brought to an end a three-match winning run and cast serious doubt over their prospects of a first appearance in the play-offs for four years.

Hull winger Jamie Foster scored 26 points as Peter Gentle's men bounced back in impressive fashion from their humiliating loss to bottom club Widnes to cement sixth place in the table and breathe new life into their own play-off campaign.

St Helens skipper Paul Wellens struck at the double to move his side nearer a top four play-off spot as they beat London Broncos 30-0 on Friday night.

Mark Flanagan also crossed twice for Saints who led only 6-0 until just before the break.

The Broncos were in confident mood after three wins in a row - the last a 62-18 hammering of cup winners Warrington a fortnight ago.

But they were well beaten in the end as Tony Puletua and Anthony Laffranchi also crossed as Saints cemented third spot in the Super League standings.

Defending champions Leeds bounced back from their Wembley heartbreak at the hands of Warrington in the Challenge Cup final last weekend in style by cruising to an eight-try 46-12 rout of lowly Salford to climb to fourth place in the table.

Kallum Watkins led the rout with two tries, while Ben Jones-Bishop, Ryan Hall, Kevin Sinfield, Rob Burrow, Weller Hauraki and Jamie Jones-Buchanan also crossed with Sinfield adding seven goals.

Salford hit back late in the game thanks to a brace from Luke Patten, both converted by Daniel Holdsworth, but it was nothing more than a consolation.