Wolves rout sorry Bulls

  • Last Updated: July 29 2012, 23:04 BST

A review of the weekend's action in the Stobart Super League.

Ratchford: Four tries in Wolves' win

Warrington produced a superb first-half display to put them on the road to a 50-22 victory against crisis-hit Bradford at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

The Wolves claimed six tries in the opening 40 minutes including four in a scintillating 10-minute spell as they built up a 32-6 half-time advantage.

Full-back Stefan Ratchford claimed two tries in the opening half with others coming from Joel Monaghan, Richie Myler, Chris Riley and Simon Grix with Lee Briers landing four goals.

Ratchford went on to claim two further tries in the second half for a four-try haul, with David Solomona also crossing in a comfortable win for the home side.

Danny Addy claimed two tries for the Bulls in defeat with Elliott Whitehead and Karl Pryce also touching down and Luke Gale landing three goals.

Huddersfield's slide continued as they slumped to a ninth defeat in their last 10 Super League matches against an in-form St Helens side.

New Giants coach Paul Anderson, who took over from St Helens-bound Nathan Brown a fortnight ago, saw his old club run in eight tries to climb above Catalan Dragons into third spot with a 46-12 victory.

Lance Hohaia was in dominant form for Saints whose tries came from eight different players with Tommy Makinson notching 18 points from a touchdown and seven goals.

Salford Reds' play-off aspirations suffered a blow as Hull FC held off their stirring comeback at the KC Stadium to edge a close encounter 34-26.

Jordan Turner's late try for Hull against his former club finally settled a game which hung in the balance after the Reds threatened to upset the hosts with two tries for Sean Gleeson and Ashley Gibson.

A missed Daniel Holdsworth conversion with 10 minutes remaining left Hull defending a slender two-point lead until Turner's late score gave the home side the two points which keeps them sixth in the table.

Hull KR justified the changes made by coach Craig Sandercock by ending their four-match losing run with a 32-26 victory in a pulsating 11-try encounter at Widnes.

Rovers fell behind to a Joe Mellor try after 90 seconds but recovered to lead 18-8 at the interval through scores from Michael Dobson, Ryan O'Hara and David Hodgson before Stefan Marsh crossed for the hosts to round off the first-half scoring.

Kurt Haggerty and Danny Craven added second-half tries for Widnes, but they were cancelled out by Ben Galea and Graeme Horne and then Louis Sheriff's late try put the result beyond doubt after Rhys Hanbury's converted try had got the Vikings to within two points of the Robins.

Catalan Dragons moved back to third place in the Super League table table after a tough, ground out 19-12 win at home to the London Broncos on Saturday.

In an even, but scrappy, first half, London went ahead twice, before being pegged back twice through good work by Ben Fisher.

The half started in superb style for the Broncos who took the lead through Tony Clubb, but the scores were level when Jason Baitieri powered over.

London retook the lead on 15 minutes after a neat pass from Gower put Scott Wheeldon through another big hole in the Catalan defence. Gower again converted to give the Stobart Super League's bottom club a six-point-lead.

Catalans again levelled on the half hour, Ben Fisher scooting over from the acting half position to score next to the posts..

In an even tighter second half, it was only Daryl Millard who troubled the scorers with his superb solo effort that saw him step and jink and beat five players to score on the nod of the video referee.

Tongan powerhouse Epalahame Lauaki was Wigan's unlikely hero with his first tries for the club as the leaders recorded a comfortable 40-16 win over a depleted Castleford.

Lauaki had managed just one try in 27 Super League appearances for Hull in 2011 but he romped over for his first for Wigan - on his 23rd appearance - after only four minutes and two minutes later doubled his tally to give his side a dream start.

Winger Iain Thornley then marked his debut with a third try to put Wigan 16-0 up inside 10 minutes but they were made to work for the rest of their tries by a patched-up Tigers side hit by the withdrawal of three players on the day of the game.