London Broncos 16 - 30 Huddersfield Giants

Match info: Super League at

Date: 10/05/2014 KO: 15:00 Att: 1,035

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers


TriesVea (17) Foster (33) Solomona (36)ConversionsDrinkwater (17, 39)



TriesLunt (7) Ta'ai (27, 44) Mullally (42) Cudjoe (80)ConversionsBrough (27, 42, 44, 65, 80)

FT (ht: 16-10)

  • Last Updated: May 10 2014, 17:49 BST

Ukuma Ta'ai grabbed two tries as Huddersfield battled to a hard-fought 30-16 win over the Broncos in London.

Ukuma Ta'ai (l): Two tries for Huddersfield
Ukuma Ta'ai (l): Two tries for Huddersfield

Ta'ai struck in each half as the Giants made it four Super League wins on the bounce.

The still-winless Broncos however will feel as though they should have taken something from the contest, having led 16-10 at half-time.

The Broncos welcomed back Scott Moore from suspension, with the hooker switching to stand-off as Mike Bishay dropped to the bench.

For the visitors, coach Paul Anderson made four changes from the last-gasp win over Castleford, including drafting in former London star Chris Bailey at loose forward.

Winners of three Super League games on the road prior to the clash, Huddersfield began strongly and almost got their noses in front inside two minutes but Ta'ai spilled the ball with the line at his mercy.

Eorl Crabtree then went close, before the Giants finally took the lead when Shaun Lunt wriggled over on six minutes.

The Londoners struggled to get a grip on Huddersfield's impressive power, and barely threatened inside the opening quarter of an hour.

But that all changed on 16 minutes, as Moore's break eventually allowed Atelea Vea to crash over unopposed.

Stung into action, the visitors thought they had retaken the lead five minutes later when Jodie Broughton went in at the corner, but he strayed into touch as he touched down.

That respite for London proved temporary, with Ta'ai breaking through a series of tackles to surge over after 25 minutes.

Within the space of eight minutes the Broncos responded with two scores of their own, moving 14-10 ahead in the process.

Firstly Alex Foster stretched to score after good work from Ben Farrar, then moments later Denny Solomona surged in at the corner after Mason Caton-Brown had opened up space.

London were a transformed side, with Josh Drinkwater booting a penalty before half-time to give them a six-point lead at the interval.

Worse news followed for the Giants, as both Jake Connor and Jermaine McGilvary limped off with injuries as the hooter sounded.

But the Giants were fired up when they re-emerged for the second half and two tries within four minutes gave them control of the contest.

Anthony Mullally was the first to cross after a short pass from Lunt, with Ta'ai then grabbing his second when he strode through a gap at the posts.

As heavy rain became a factor both sides began to make errors, but it remained an entertaining end-to-end game.

The Giants' defence had to stand strong for a difficult 15-minute period as London piled on the pressure, but they managed to come through unscathed.

Matt Cook, Solomona and Caton-Brown all went close, but were unable to find a way through.

That defence proved pivotal, as Danny Brough kicked a penalty on 65 minutes to give Huddersfield an eight-point advantage. And in the dying seconds Brough's teasing kick through allowed Leroy Cudjoe to pounce for a final Giants score.

New Sky Bet customers: Free matched bet up to £30