Widnes Vikings 18 - 24 Wakefield Trinity

Match info: Super League at Select Security Stadium

Date: 09/05/2014 KO: 20:00 Att: 5,186

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers


TriesHulme (22, 43) Flynn (40)ConversionsTickle (22, 40, 43)



TriesRiley (8) Moore (19) Siejka (49) Sykes (80)ConversionsSammut (8, 19, 49, 80)

FT (ht: 12-12)

  • Last Updated: May 9 2014, 22:25 BST

Paul Sykes sent Widnes crashing to their first defeat in four matches as his last-gasp try handed Wakefield a 24-18 win at the Stobart Stadium.

Paul Sykes: Late try won the game for Wakefield
Paul Sykes: Late try won the game for Wakefield

Sykes swept over with the last play of the match to settle a rousing contest with Jarrod Sammut landing the conversion.

Wakefield had led 12-0 before Widnes hit back to level by the break.

Widnes switched Jack Owens to full-back in the absence of injured Rhys Hanbury with Declan Hulme called up on the wing and he notched two tries.

Centre Stefan Marsh returned for his first match after suffering a shoulder injury against Salford on March 6.

Wakefield resisted the temptation to recall Andy Raleigh after a wrist injury with coach Richard Agar naming an unchanged line-up following the morale-boosting win at Hull.

The Wildcats went into the clash boasting a six-match winning run against Widnes stretching back to 2005.

Wakefield, who had lost their previous six league and cup games before the Hull triumph, had the early bonus of a 40-20 by Sammut with only determined defence keeping out Lucas Walshaw.

The Wildcats took the lead with a stunning try after Widnes should have gone in front but Macgraff Leuluai opted not to pass to the supporting Jon Clarke.

When Kevin Brown threw out a loose pass on the Wakefield line, Sammut swooped on the ball to sprint 80 metres before sending Chris Riley over.

Sammut tagged on the conversion to make it 6-0 after seven minutes.

Walshaw was proving a real handful for Widnes down the left channel and sub Richard Moore made his presence felt with a thundering tackle.

Moore did even better after 19 minutes, charging through two defenders to increase the lead to 12-0 with his first try since returning from Leeds.

The advantage was no more than Wakefield deserved after their bright opening.

But Widnes finally broke the Wildcats defence with Brown and Marsh combining for Hulme to cross in the corner with Danny Tickle's conversion attempt going over off the post.

Brown's growing influence lifted Widnes but Wakefield missed a chance to increase the lead when Sammut was off target with a penalty after Moore had the ball illegally stolen.

Widnes turned up the heat before the break with Tickle held over the line before Brown's long pass put Paddy Flynn over in the corner.

Tickle again struck the touchline conversion to draw the Vikings level.

Sammut booted the restart dead to give Tickle a penalty chance from the half way line but the ex-Wigan and Hull forward was just wide with the long range effort.to leave it 12-12 at half-time.

Hulme struck again two minutes after the restart after collecting Danny Craven's neat kick to plunge over with Tickle kicking the conversion.

Wakefield refused to lie down and were back on level terms with Harry Siejka plunging over and Sammut adding the goal to make it 18-18.

It was a rousing contest with play switching from end to end and Flynn going close again from another teasing Brown kick.

Paul McShane was held up close to the Vikings line.with Sykes missing a drop goal attempt for Wakefield after 73 minutes before Craven was off target for Widnes.

Tickle then missed a penalty and drop-goal for Widnes before Pita Godinet was short with a one-point effort.

Then up popped Sykes to step in with his match-winning effort.