Warrington Wolves 44 - 6 Widnes Vikings

Match info: Super League at Halliwell Jones Stadium

Date: 18/04/2014 KO: 14:45 Att: 10,500

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers


TriesO'Brien (5) Monaghan (12) Monaghan (17) Bridge (34) Evans (44, 59) Currie (57) Atkins (80)ConversionsBridge (5, 12, 17, 34) Ratchford (57, 80)



TriesFlynn (75)ConversionsTickle (75)

FT (ht: 24-0)

  • Last Updated: April 18 2014, 16:59 BST

Two tries from winger Rhys Evans and a 12-point haul from centre Chris Bridge helped Warrington to a convincing 44-6 derby success over Widnes at the Halliwell Jones stadium.

Chris Bridge was in the points for Warrington Wolves
Chris Bridge was in the points for Warrington Wolves

Evans claimed two second-half tries and Bridge scored a try and four goals from five attempts as Tony Smith's side bounced back to form after their somewhat indifferent start to the season.

The Wolves produced a superb first-half display to lead 24-0 at half-time through tries from Bridge, Michael Monaghan, Joel Monaghan and Gareth O'Brien, all converted by Bridge.

And they made sure of victory in the second half with Evans claiming his two tries and Ben Currie and Ryan Atkins also touching down with Stefan Ratchford adding two further conversions.

On a disappointing afternoon for the Vikings, Paddy Flynn claimed their only try six minutes from time which was a mere consolation effort which Danny Tickle converted

Warrington were without the injured trio of Ben Westwood, Paul Wood and Simon Grix, while half-back Richie Myler was left out so O'Brien was given a starting spot and Roy Asotasi and Ben Harrison were given places in the pack.

Stefan Marsh and Joe Mellor were still sidelined for Widnes who welcomed back Cameron Phelps, Alex Gerrard and Danny Galea.

It was the Wolves who made the perfect start and were ahead after just four minutes when O'Brien was on hand to take Michael Monaghan's pass and crash over from close range for the opening try of the game which Bridge converted.

And seven minutes later O'Brien turned provider as his inch-perfect kick to the corner allowed winger Joel Monaghan to dive on the loose ball in spectacular fashion.

Bridge landed an excellent touchline conversion to give the home side an early 12-0 advantage.

It got even better for Tony Smith's side when Michael Monaghan joined his brother on the scoresheet as he burrowed his way through the Widnes defence to touch down and Bridge maintained his 100 per cent record with the boot to make it 18-0 after just 17 minutes.

Widnes had rarely threatened during the first half with the closest they went to troubling the scoreboard was when Ian Smith ruled that Jack Owens had just failed to touch down Kevin Brown's kick before the ball had rolled dead.

The Wolves claimed their fourth try of the half six minutes before half-time when Micky Higham made a 30-metre midfield break and Bridge was in support to take his pass and touch down. The centre landed his fourth conversion of the game to give Warrington a commanding 24-0 half time advantage.

It took Warrington just three minutes after the restart to add to their tally when O'Brien's long pass allowed Evans to dive over in the corner.

And they added to Widnes's misery with two tries in three minutes midway through the half as Evans claimed his second try of the game and Ben Currie also touched down to stretch the lead to 38-0.

On a day to forget for Dennis Betts' side winger Flynn scored a late consolation try for the visitors which Tickle converted but there was still time for the Wolves to finish in style when Atkins crossed in the final seconds to complete the rout.

New Sky Bet customers: Free matched bet up to £30