Wigan Warriors 48 - 18 London Broncos

Match info: Betfred Super League at DW Stadium

Date: 24/02/2013 KO: 15:00 Att: 11,590

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers


TriesThornley (2, 71) Charnley (11, 68) Mcllorum (31) O'Loughlin (40) Tomkins (46) Richards (50) Green (62)ConversionsRichards (2, 31, 40, 50, 62, 68)



TriesColbon (21) Dixon (26) Randall (36)ConversionsWitt (21, 26, 36)

FT (ht: 22-18)

  • Last Updated: February 24 2013, 17:39 GMT

Wigan returned to winning ways following last weekend's defeat to Huddersfield after running riot in the second half against the London Broncos.

Sam Tomkins: At the heart of the action
Sam Tomkins: At the heart of the action

The Warriors looked like they would claim a comfortable victory after scoring two early tries, but a moment of madness from Sam Tomkins changed the whole complexion of the first 40 minutes.

Iain Thornley and Josh Charnley went over in the opening 11 minutes but Tomkins was sin-binned for 10 minutes for talking out of turn to the referee and that sparked the visitors into life. They responded with scores from Liam Colbon and Keiran Dixon to silence the DW Stadium crowd.

And when Michael McIlorum and Chad Randall traded scores it looked like London would lead at the break but Warriors captain Sean O'Loughlin went over for the home side to lead 22-18.

Wigan looked a completely different team in the second half, though, as they ran in five more tries without reply to claim the win.

Warriors coach Shaun Wane brought back Tomkins at full-back, while Chris Tuson returned from injury to start in the second row with Jack Hughes switching to centre in place of the ill Darrell Goulding.

London made a number of changes following their winless start to the season with Dan Sarginson, Colbon and Michael Channing starting, while coach Tony Rea opted to name his assistant coach and former Catalan Dragons hooker Ben Fisher on the bench.

Wigan took the lead inside two minutes when Thornley touched down in the corner following good work by Pat Richards, Blake Green and Tomkins. The try was converted by Richards for a 6-0 lead.

The Broncos looked to be spurred on from that early setback and it needed a great Charnley tackle to deny Dixon.

The visitors refused to lie down and after two successive penalties they thought they had crossed but Dixon dropped the ball as he went over the line.

London were left to rue those missed chances as Wigan extended their lead moments later when Charnley scored for the fourth successive game this season following a swift passing move.

Just as Wigan looked to be taking control they were reduced to 12 men when Tomkins was sent to the sin bin for mouthing off to referee Robert Hicks, and London made the extra man count as former Wigan winger Colbon went in at the corner, Michael Witt converting to reduce the deficit to 10-6.

Things went from bad for worse for Wigan as Lee Mossop was forced off the field with a serious looking arm injury and moments later London took a surprise lead as Smith's wayward ball went to ground and it was swooped upon by the impressive Gower who offloaded to Dixon to score their second try. Witt added the extras for a 12-10 lead.

Tomkins returned from the bin and almost scored in the corner before hooker McIlorum did so when he barged over from acting half-back, Richards made no mistake this time as he converted to put Wigan 16-12 ahead.

London continued to battle, though, and when Blake Green's kick was charged down by Randall the hooker then picked up the loose ball to race away and score. Witt again converted as they led 18-16.

Wigan were determined not to be behind at the break and they made sure they were not as skipper O'Loughlin powered his way over from close range and with Richards converting they led by four points at half-time.

Wigan opened up the second half like the first with a try for Tomkins. O'Loughlin linked well with Smith and Green before the full-back charged into the line to go over unopposed.

Richards was off target with the conversion but he then found himself on the end of another sweet passing move to score Wigan's sixth try, which he also converted to make it 32-18.

It was now London's turn to defend with a man less as referee Hicks sent Matt Cook to the sin bin for lying on in the tackle.

Wigan finally put the game to bed in the 62nd minute when Tomkins broke a tackle in midfield and raced away before sending Green over for his first try in a Warriors shirt. Richards added the extras to make it 38-18.

Wigan were now in cruise control and Charnley scored his second try of the game with 14 minutes remaining before Thornley crossed over once more to complete the win.

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week