Castleford Tigers 14 - 12 Leeds Rhinos

Match info: Super League at

Date: 10/02/2013 KO: 15:30 Att: 9,103

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers


TriesTansey (3) Webster (16)ConversionsEllis (3, 74, 78)



TriesMcGuire (12) Hall (48)ConversionsSinfield (12, 48)

FT (ht: 10-6)

  • Last Updated: February 10 2013, 17:46 GMT

Castleford snatched a dramatic 14-12 win over champions Leeds with two late penalty goals by Jamie Ellis settling a gripping derby clash.

Kevin Sinfield finds his progress halted.
Kevin Sinfield finds his progress halted.

The Tigers were 12-10 behind until Ellis levelled matters with a 40-yard kick in the 74th minute.

He was on target again five minutes later with a kick from in front of the posts as the Tigers grabbed their first win since last July.

It was a deserved victory for the battling Tigers who were inspired by England stand-off Rangi Chase against an off-colour Leeds side.

Lee Gilmour, Justin Carney, Jake Webster and former Leeds pair Weller Hauraki and Jordan Tansey made their Castleford home debuts.

Jonathan Walker replaced Keith Mason at prop for the Tigers and Jordan Thompson was called up on the bench.

Leeds brought in 22-year-old German international Jimmy Keinhorst in place of injured winger Joe Vickery.

Prop Jamie Peacock made his 200th appearance for the Rhinos who were quickly under pressure in the early stages after conceding two penalties close to their try line.

Castleford took full advantage when Chase's superbly-judged kick set up a third minute try for Tansey that Ellis goaled.

The Tigers initially did well to survive a Leeds onslaught as the visitors looked to make a swift reply before the home defence was finally breached in the 12th minute.

Danny McGuire continued his excellent scoring run against the Tigers with his 23rd try in 19 games after cleverly swapping passes with Joel Moon.

Kevin Sinfield's conversion levelled the scores but Castleford regained the lead four minutes later.

England half-back Chase again weaved his magic by bursting clear to create the opening for Webster, who crossed to put the Tigers 10-6 up.

Leeds full-back Zak Hardaker had to be alert to hack Webster's kick dead when the Tigers threatened again.

With Chase pulling the strings, the Tigers continued to cause the visitors plenty of problems and looked the more likely scorers.

The Rhinos struggled to put their game together and were often let down by handling mistakes in the slippy conditions.

They missed an excellent chance when Kallum Watkins threw out a wild pass to Keinhorst with Castleford's defence stretched.

The Tigers were the first to threaten in the second-half when Keinhorst lost possession 10 yards from his own try line, but Castleford then came under pressure after conceding four consecutive penalties.

The Tigers were reduced to 12 men in the 48th minute when substitute Nathan Massey was sin-binned for ball stealing.

Leeds quickly capitalised on the extra man when McGuire's long pass sent in winger Ryan Hall at the corner and Sinfield added a touchline conversion to put the Rhinos in front for the first time.

Ellis was wide with a 40-yard penalty attempt after the Rhinos were penalised for a high tackle but he was made no mistake with another kick from the same distance after Chase had put in a superb 40-20.

Castleford's Oliver Holmes was tackled inches before Ellis was on target with a late winner after Leeds were penalised for not being square at a play the ball beneath their own posts.

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week