Hull FC 16 - 12 Warrington Wolves

Match info: Tetleys Challenge Cup at

Date: 28/07/2013 KO: 18:00 Att: 10,621

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers


TriesLineham (17) Whiting (20) Heremaia (50)ConversionsTickle (17, 50)



TriesMonaghan (6) Waterhouse (12) Currie (76)

FT (ht: 10-8)

  • Last Updated: July 28 2013, 21:49 BST

Post-match reaction to Hull FC's 16-12 Challenge Cup victory over the Warrington Wolves.

Hull FC's Liam Watts is tackled
Hull FC's Liam Watts is tackled

Hull coach Peter Gentle highlighted the impact of man-of-the-match Daniel Holdsworth after he returned from injury to help take the Black and Whites to Wembley.

The Australian stand-off, who had been out for a month with a calf problem, returned in style with a kicking masterclass to steer his side to a 16-12 victory over holders Warrington in a gripping Tetley's Challenge Cup semi-final at Huddersfield.

Their reward is a trip to Wembley to face Wigan on August 24 in a repeat of the classic 1985 final.

"Our medical staff, especially our head physio Jamie Moseley, deserve enormous credit," Gentle said.

"It was a six-week injury and we got him back in three. You can guarantee we would not have won without Daniel."

Hull were also indebted to the versatile Richard Whiting, one of three survivors from their last Cup triumph at Cardiff in 2005, who stepped into the unaccustomed role of full-back after the loss of Shannon McDonnell inside seven minutes with a pulled hamstring.

"He hasn't trained at full-back for quite some time but he's just an out-and-out rugby league player," Gentle said.

"You can put him anywhere and he'll do a job for you. There was never any doubt that he would do a job at the back for us."

Hull looked unlikely winners after conceding two tries inside the first 12 minutes to Joel Monaghan and Trent Waterhouse but a long-range individual score from winger Tom Lineham got them back in the game.

They led 16-8 after further tries from Whiting and fellow substitute Aaron Heremaia but the Wolves struck back through second rower Ben Currie on 75 minutes and Hull were hanging on grimly at the end.

"It was a gutsy performance," Gentle said. "Losing Shannon McDonnell so early put a lot of stress on our interchange but I thought our forwards were exceptional. They had to play for extended minutes.

"We spoke about having to overcome any adversity and we did that.

"You saw the desperation, two sides out there desperate to get to Wembley and fortunately we prevailed.

"We had to be on top of our game and we were. We played right up there to our potential."

Warrington, who were firm favourites to reach a fourth Wembley final in five years, matched their opponents try for try but coach Tony Smith had no complaints over the result.

"We made too many errors," he said. "We're not a team that usually minds making them but we like to make them on our terms.

"Today they were made in contact and on the ground and there were too many early in the tackle count, which meant we didn't build pressure.

"I enjoyed our start but we lost our way. Hull got their tails up and were very determined. They made plenty of errors as well but we couldn't take advantage.

"They deserved to win. They were just a little hungrier in defence and found that bit of energy when they needed to.

"My boys showed their character but it was a case of trying too hard at times. They were trying to force things rather than have a bit of steadiness."

Smith admitted the kicking of Holdsworth was crucial but preferred to highlight the contribution of England back-row forwards Gareth Ellis (Hull) and Ben Westwood (Warrington).

"I thought their tussle was enormous and it augurs very well for England," he said. "They went against each other all day and were head and shoulders above everybody else."

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet