St Helens 22 - 22 Hull FC

Match info: Betfred Super League at Langtree Park

Date: 15/02/2013 KO: 20:00 Att: 11,257

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers

St Helens

TriesLaffranchi (11) Meli (15) Turner (27) Jones (48)ConversionsGaskell (11, 15, 48)



TriesCrookes (4) McDonnell (31) Briscoe (54) Whiting (71)ConversionsHoldsworth (4, 31, 54)

FT (ht: 16-12)

  • Last Updated: February 15 2013, 23:29 GMT

Hull coach Peter Gentle was happy to secure a point from a 22-22 draw after watching his side dominate the second half of their Super League clash with St Helens at Langtree Park.

Tom Briscoe: Try not enough for Hull victory
Tom Briscoe: Try not enough for Hull victory

Trailing 22-12 early in the second half, the Black and Whites drew level through tries by threequarters Tom Briscoe and Richard Whiting but Daniel Holdsworth missed his final conversion and was also off target with two long-range drop goal attempts in the last three minutes.

"At this time of year it's a point gained," Gentle said. "We had an opportunity to win it and the longer the game went the stronger belief that we could win it.

"I was frustrated at half-time because we weren't playing as a team but in the second half the belief grew.

"We're still misfiring but there is plenty of character there. The guys are excited and genuinely believe we are a good football team. We're a work in progress and we will get there eventually."

Gentle was forced to re-shuffle his side after losing winger Jason Crookes with a twisted knee, shortly after scoring the game's first try, while St Helens lost captain and full-back Paul Wellens with a calf injury early in the second half.

Saints, boosted by the return of England hooker James Roby, opened up a 16-6 lead after scoring three tries in a 17-minute spell through Anthony Laffranchi, winger Francis Meli and former Hull centre Jordan Turner.

Centre Josh Jones added a fourth try nine minutes into the second half but Saints lost their way as Holdsworth inspired Hull's impressive second-half display.

"They had enough ball to win three games in the second half but I'm disappointed because I thought we threw a point away," said Saints coach Nathan Brown.

"I can't fault the guys' effort. We did improve from last week but the disappointing thing is that, every time we had them ready to break, we came up with silly errors or they got 50-50 calls - we couldn't buy one tonight."

Brown refused to use the loss of Wellens as an excuse for his side's inability to wrap up the points.

"They lost a winger as well," he said. "You've got to overcome those things.

"We put the effort in to still get the two points but we didn't play smart enough. We need to improve again next week."

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week