Look to the incredible Ulck
Ian Ogg analyses the last 10 renewals of Saturday's StanJames.com Supporting Greatwood Gold Cup Handicap Chase and picks out the key statistics.
- Winners have been aged 6 (three), 7 (two), 8 (five) & 11.
- Winners have carried between 10-1 and 11-5.
- Winners have been rated between 130 and 155 with seven between 139 and 146.
- Winners have been priced between 10/3 and 22/1 with six returned at single figure SPs. Three favourites have been successful.
- Seven winners finished in the first four on their preceding start and a further three had a top four finish to their name in their last three starts.
- Eight winners had had no more than 15 starts over fences.
- Nine winners had won over at least two miles four furlongs.
- All winners had won a class 3 chase or above, nine a class 2 chase or above.
- Seven winners had previously won a handicap; one of the exceptions was scoring on his handicap bow.
- Six winners have been bred in France.
- Six winners have been trained by Paul Nicholls.
There was a dead-heat in 2006 resulting in 11 'winners' over 10 renewals
Paul Nicholls has dominated this race and the Ditcheat handler is doubly represented and a chance is taken with his Ulck Du Lin.
He lacks a good recent run to his name but perhaps the fitting of a tongue tie can help bring about a return to form. He is French bred and has contested the same Cheltenham handicap as the last two winners of this race and ticks a number of the other key boxes and has also been placed over two miles and six furlongs.