Haydock stats point to Hawkes
Ian Ogg analyses the last 10 renewals of Saturday's Betfred Grand National Trial at Haydock and picks out the key statistics.
- Winners have been aged 7 (two), 8 (two), 9 (three), 10 and 11 (two).
- Winners have carried between 10-0 and 11-12. Two have defied top-weight and two scored from out of the handicap.
- Winners have been rated between 124 and 149; five of the last six were rated between 138 and 149.
- Winners have been priced between 4/1 and 18/1 with two favourites successful.
- Nine winners finished in the first three on their preceding start; five were successful.
- Nine winners had won a race during the current season but only two had scored more than once.
- Nine winners had run during the current calendar year.
- Nine winners had won over at least three miles, the exception had been placed over three miles three.
- Eight winners either made all or raced up with the pace.
Not a great deal to thin the runners out in terms of weight, age and ratings statistics but a good recent run has been desirable and that only leaves a handful of realistic contenders.
Last year's winner Well Refreshed won the Sussex National on his previous start while Jurancon II had finished second in the Classic Chase at Warwick but four winners came via the Welsh National, finishing 2, 7, 2 and 1.
Hawkes Point represents the Chepstow form and although he hasn't won a race this season it may be worth overlooking that negative as he appears to have a good deal else in his favour and the market has got this race right of late with favourites winning the last two renewals.