Expect a Vintage display
Ian Ogg analyses the last nine renewals of Saturday's Peter Marsh Chase at Haydock and picks out the key statistics.
- Winners have been aged 8 (four), 9 (two), 10, 11 and 12.
- Winners have been weighted between 10-4 and 11-10, with two winning from out of the handicap.
- Winners have been rated between 129 and 155 with five between 137 and 142.
- Winners were priced between 9/4 and 33/1 with one favourite successful, a further three were placed.
- The last five winners had run between 3 and 5 times during the current season, the previous four just twice. Five had won at least once.
- Four winners had failed to complete on their preceding start while four were placed or better.
- Five winners had their preceding start in the Rowland Meyrick, finishing 3rd, F, 3rd, PU and 1st.
- All winners had either won or been placed over two miles six or beyond.
- Seven winners had contested a graded chase in their careers.
- Two winners hadn't previously won a handicap.
- Seven winners had previously run at Haydock with six placed or better.
The lack of a seven year old winner counts against both Sydney Paget and Merry King while The Minack has been off the track for a long time.
The suggestion is Sue Smith's Vintage Star who represents the most successful age group, was placed at this track over hurdles and is rated within 1lb of four previous winners.