Cheltenham Festival stats: Day One
Ian Ogg highlights some of the key statistics for all of the races on the opening day of the Cheltenham Festival.
- Related Content
- Only one favourite has been successful with the last nine all beaten.
- Only two winners started their racing careers on the Flat.
- Eight winners won their preceding start; the exceptions finished second & third.
Selection: Vautour Alternative: Vaniteux
- All the winners had a hurdles rating of at least 141.
- Seven year olds have won six renewals, five year olds two with one six and one eight year old winning.
- Eight winners had previously run at the Cheltenham Festival.
Selection: Champagne Fever Alternative: Trifolium
- No winner has carried more than 11st 2lbs, nine carried 10-12 or less.
- JP McManus has owned the winner on three occasions while Alan King and Jonjo O'Neill have both won two renewals.
- Eight winners finished in the first three on their preceding start, five of which were successful.
Selection: Alfie Sherrin Alternative: Time For Rupert
- Nine winners had their preceding start in the same calendar year and the exception ran on Boxing Day when second in the Christmas Hurdle.
- Four favourites have been successful and a further three made the frame.
- Winners have been aged between five and nine with 4 seven year olds, 2 six year olds and 2 eight year olds scoring.
Selection: My Tent Or Yours Alternative: The New One
- Quevega has won five of the six renewals.
- Half of the 12 other placed horses were aged six, 3 were seven, 2 eight and 1 aged 9.
Selection: Quevega Alternative: Cailin Annamh
- Winners have been aged 6, 7 (five) and 8 (four).
- Jockeys based in Ireland have won seven renewals.
- The top-rated horse and favourite has won the last three runnings.
Selection: Shutthefrontdoor Alternative: Shotgun Paddy
- Six of the nine winners have been aged 7 (exceptions 5, 6 and 8).
- Eight winners finished in the first two on their preceding start.
- Five winners were rated between 133 and 135 but three of the last four were between 139 and 142.
Selection: Ericht Alternative: Persian Snow