That's the Spirit
Ian Ogg analyses the last 10 renewals of Saturday's Stewart Family Say Thank You Gold Cup and picks out the key statistics.
- Winners have been aged four, six (4), seven (4) and eight.
- Winners have carried between 9-9 (incl jockey's claim) and 11-8 with four of the last six carrying 11-4+.
- Winners have been rated between 132 and 163 with seven between 142 and 151.
- Winners were priced between 7/2 and 22/1 with one favourite successful (two further favourites placed).
- Three winners were successful on their previous start and all finished in the first five.
- Six winners had run in a renewal of the Paddy Power Gold Cup with five contesting the race in the same season (finishing 2nd, 5th, 2nd, 1st, 3rd).
- Nine winners had had between six and 12 starts over fences.
- All winners had run between one and three times during the current season.
- Only two winners hadn't previously won or been placed at Cheltenham and one of those two was third of five in their sole course start.
- Nine winners had either won or been placed in a class one chase; the exception (Unioniste) was having his first run at that level.
The Paddy Power Gold Cup has obviously had a big bearing on this race and last month's contest is, again, well represented. Exotic Dancer won both races and Jonjo O'Neill has live claims of doing the double with Johns Spirit who is taken to confirm placings with Colour Squadron.
Salut Flo has been off the course for a long time but ticks a number of the right boxes otherwise and market support for him would be of keen interest with his brilliant Festival win still fresh in the memory.