Take 'adram at Ascot
Ian Ogg analyses the last 10 renewals of Saturday's QIPCO Champion Stakes at Ascot and pick out the key statistics.
- Winners have been aged three (4), four (3), five (2) and six.
- Winners have been priced between 2/11 and 25/1 (five in double figures) with two favourites successful.
- Three winners hadn't previously won a Group One contest but, of those, two had been placed in the top tier.
- Nine winners finished in the first three on their preceding start; six were successful.
- Nine winners had won over 10 furlongs, the exception was tackling the trip for the first time.
- All of the winners had won a race during the current season.
- The successful three year olds all ran in a Classic.
- All the winners had previously contested a Group One.
Not a great race for favourites which is a better reason to take on Cirrus Des Aigles than on account of his age with 50/1 shot Dano-Mast the only other seven year old to have contested this race in the last decade.
French handlers do have a decent record with Literato and Pride joining Cirrus Des Aigles in taking this prize back to the continent and Morandi looks the pick of the three year olds despite having failed to put his head in front this season.
However, it may be worth taking a chance that the Group One placed Mukhadram can step up to the plate on a track which should suit his style of running.
Only two renewals have been held at Ascot; the remainder were at Newmarket