Rufford can win Premier prize
We analyse the last 10 renewals of the DBS Premier Yearling Stakes at York and pick out the key statistics.
- Winners have been priced between 5/4 and 25/1 with six in single figures.
- Five favourites have been successful.
- Of the six York winners, five were drawn 11 or higher.
- All six York winners raced up with the pace.
- Five winners finished in the first two on their preceding start, four were successful. Of the beaten horses, four were beaten in a Group Two and the others in a Group Three and Listed races.
- Six winners had won over six furlongs or beyond.
- Winners had run between two and six times with only two having had more than four starts while five have had just two starts.
Only six renewals have been run at York but those have been won by horses drawn in 17, 19, 15, 13, 2 and 11 triumph with the three places being filled by 10 horses drawn in double figures (including the first two home in two of the last three years).
The stables of Richard Hannon, Kevin Ryan, Richard Fahey and Tim Easterby have, not surprisingly, enjoyed success in this valuable contest with Ryan on a hat-trick after victories for Bogart and Hototo with the latter doing well to defy a penalty 12 months ago.
Ryan has a strong hand once again but preference is for Rufford who looked a potentially useful prospect when winning here on debut and is better than the bare form of his Pontefract defeat suggests as he failed to handle the track.