Weather woe continues

  • Last Updated: January 23 2013, 15:39 GMT

The racing calendar continues to take a battering from the weather with Cheltenham and Doncaster fighting to save Saturday cards.

Uttoxeter: Covered by snow
Uttoxeter: Covered by snow

Cheltenham reported an inch of fresh snow on Wednesday morning although the prospect of switching the card to Sunday has been raised.

A tweet from the racecourse on Wednesday morning said: "Snow is being removed from the covers, so we remain hopeful for Saturday, but still planning for Sunday as a back-up option."

Clerk of the course Simon Claisse has announced that the track will hold an inspection at 8am on Friday to see if they can race as planned on Saturday.

Officials at Doncaster abandoned Friday's card and Huntingdon's meeting scheduled for the same day also fell to snow.

Doncaster are due to hold their feature Sky Bet Chase card on Saturday but that also looks unlikely if the forecast is correct.

Clerk of the course Roderick Duncan told Sportinglife.com: "We'll inspect for Saturday on Thursday at 2pm, but at the moment it's not looking encouraging.

"I'd like to see a change in the forecast for Friday, when we might be looking at further snow, and some warmer temperatures arriving instead. We're not without hope but the picture needs to change significantly."

Uttoxeter are also scheduled to stage a National Hunt fixture on Saturday but the track is currently covered by several inches of snow, as is Sedgefield ahead of their Sunday card. They will inspect at 10am on Thursday.

There was better news for racegoers on Wednesday with cards at Lingfield, Limerick and Kempton all given the go-ahead, although Exeter and Catterick had already been forced to abandon.

And for the first time in just under a week, a National Hunt meeting in the UK got the all-clear with Ayr passing a noon inspection.


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week