Horse racing Christmas quiz
Test your knowledge this festive season with our bumper horse racing quiz - can you get all 30 questions right?
- Related Content
Round 1 - Kauto Star
1) By what aggregate distance did Kauto Star win his 5 King George VI Chases by?
a) 28.75 Lengths b) 44.5 Lengths c) 66.25 Lengths
2) Only three jockeys other than Ruby Walsh rode Kauto Star after he joined Paul Nicholls. Which of the 3 failed to win on him?
a) Mick Fitzgerald b) A.P.McCoy c) Sam Thomas
3) How much prize money did Kauto Star win during his career?
a) £1.87million b) £2.37million c) £2.84million
4) One horse was second to Kauto Star three times, was it....?
a) Denman b) Exotic Dancer c) Voy Por Ustedes
5) Where did Kauto Star make his UK debut?
a) Exeter b) Kempton Park c) Newbury
Round 2 - Denman
6) Who rode Denman to most victories in his career?
a) Sam Thomas b) Ruby Walsh c) Christian Williams
7) Only two horses other than Denman have won two Hennessy Gold Cups. Which hasn't?
a) Arkle b) Mandarin c) Mill House
8) Which injury prone Irish-trained horse became the only horse to beat Denman in his first 15 runs.
a) Iktitaf b) Nicanor c) Pandorama
9) What was Denman's worst placing in his four runs in the Cheltenham Gold Cup?
a) 2nd b) 3rd c) 4th
10) Only one horse has ever finished in front of Denman more than once, is it?
a) Exotic Dancer b) Kauto Star c) Madison Du Berlais
Round 3 - Richard Hughes
11) What was the name of the horse that Richard Hughes was riding when he incurred his 50-day ban in India?
a) Jacqueline Quest b) Jacqueline Smile c) Jacqueline Power
12) Name the last winner of Richard Hughes' seven-timer at Windsor in October, which he got on board when Ryan Moore was struck down with an attack of jet lag?
a) Mama Quilla b) Links Drive Lady c) Magic Secret
13) Richard Hughes endured a nightmare passage when riding I'm A Dreamer in the Breeders' Cup Filly& Mare Turf, but who rode David Simcock's mare to Group One success in the Beverly D Stakes at Woodbine in August?
a) Hayley Turner b) William Buck c) John Velazquez
14) Which racecourse celebrated the jockeys' championship success of Hughes by naming a race the Congratulations Champion Jockey Richard Hughes Stakes in the week before he collected his trophy at Doncaster?
a) Leicester b) Wolverhampton c) Kempton
15) On which horse did Hughes win most prize money in 2012?
a) Rosdhu Queen b) Victrix Ludorum c) The Fugue
Round 4 - Frankel
16) Who said of Frankel "In football terms, Frankel reminds me of Ronaldo - big, strong, tall, imposing and most of all very fast"?
a) Michael Owen b) Alan Brazil c) Tom Cleverley
17) How much did Frankel weigh when he was born?
a) 8st 8lb b) 14st 2lb c) 19st 11lb
18) What is the name of Frankel's two-year-old half-brother, who finished unplaced at Nottingham on his only start in 2012?
a) Amorphous b) Morpheus c) Orpheus
19) By how far did Frankel beat Cirrus des Aigles to win the Qipco Champion Stakes at Ascot on his final racecourse appearance?
a) 1 ¾ lengths b) 2 ¼ lengths c) 3 ¼ lengths
20) Over what trip did Frankel make his racecourse debut when beating Nathaniel in a maiden at Newmarket's July Course in 2010?
a) six furlongs b) seven furlongs c) one mile
Round 5 - Blasts from the past
21) Which other horse completed a memorable week for Graham Lee by winning at the 2005 Cheltenham Festival after his victories on Inglis Drever and No Refuge?
a) Lennon b) Arcalis c) Grey Abbey
22) Which horse won 'The Monday National' in 1997?
a) Esha Ness b) Lord Gyllene c) Earth Summit
23) What was the name of the horse that kicked off Frankie Dettori's 'Magnificent Seven' at Ascot in 1996?
a) Wall Street b) Baker Street c) Coronation Street
24) How many Grand Nationals did West Tip run in?
a) 4 b) 5 c) 6
25) Who rode George Washington to his QEII win in 2006?
a) Seamie Heffernan b) Kieren Fallon c) Mick Kinane
Round 6 - The joy of ownership
26) What was the name of Wayne Rooney's first winner as an owner?
a) Pippy b) Yourartisonfire c) Rooney's Girl
27) What did jockey Paddy Mathers say to the owners of Cielo Rojo (partly owned by members of the sportinglife.com racing desk) after he finished seventh of nine at Southwell on his handicap debut?
a) The problem with this horse is that he has no brain
b) The problem with this horse is that he's thinking far too much
c) The problem with this horse is that he does all of this thinking through his testicles
28) What excuse did the highly talented and inexplicably under-used conditional jockey Kyle James use as to why he wouldn't be heading up in the horse box with Goldan Jess (partly owned by members of the sportinglife.com racing desk) and would make his own way to the track?
a) He'd had a bad curry the night before
b) He's never really liked early mornings
c) He doesn't like the smell of horses
29) A respectable 15th in the owners' standings, The Queen had a pretty good year with her horses in 2012. But which one provided the biggest contribution to her earnings?
a) Estimate b) Carlton House c) Set To Music
30) Where did the owners of Black Caviar meet and decide to buy Australia's outstanding racehorse?
a) At a charity black tie dinner b) On a houseboat holiday c) At a Star Trek convention in Melbourne