Henderson ground fears ease
Nicky Henderson has allayed fears over Bobs Worth participation in the Hennessy after inspecting the ground at Newbury himself.
- Related Content
The Seven Barrows handler visited the Berkshire track on Tuesday afternoon and liked what he saw.
"At the moment, the plan would be for both Roberto Goldback and Bobs Worth to run," he said.
Henderson had expressed some concerns about the going for Bobs Worth earlier in the week but those have largely gone due to the fresh ground at the track.
He said: "The ground is in good nick there - it's Newbury's first meeting of the season which has helped.
"In other years it would have been the second or third meeting and while I'd usually sooner have had those extra meetings, it may have worked in everyone's favour this time.
"If they had had a couple of meetings already, it would have been much worse.
"They are saving some fresh ground for Saturday and we have a couple of dry days forecast so it might not be that bad."
Henderson is set to be double-handed after deciding to let Roberto Goldback take his chance at Newbury on Saturday.
The Seven Barrows handler had initially indicated the 10-year-old would run at Newbury on Friday but those plans have now changed.
"We've had a slight change of heart and we have decided Roberto Goldback will run in the Hennessy after all," he said.
"He's a stayer and while it will be testing ground, he's not a two-and-a-half-miler.
"It's not going to be easy as he has a lot of weight, but we are happy with him.
"The ground will not be within a million miles of what he really wants but it seemed pointless to run in the shorter race.
"I had a little chat with Simon Munir (his owner) and Anthony Bromley and we decided to go for the Hennessy instead.
"He's gone up in the handicap and he probably won't win over two and a half miles on that ground. He probably won't win over three and a quarter [either], but we will take our chance."