Ruby run depends on weather

  • Last Updated: January 22 2014, 12:11 GMT

Harry Fry will leave it until the last minute to decide if Rock On Ruby will run in Saturday's Grade Two Racing Post Lightning Novices' Chase at Doncaster.

Rock On Ruby: Doesn't want soft ground
Rock On Ruby: Doesn't want soft ground

The former Champion Hurdle winner has won on his only chase start at Plumpton but needs more experience before the Arkle at Cheltenham in March.

However, his trainer is reluctant to run him on soft ground and in his latest blog for StanJames.com, Fry said: "We still hope to run Rock On Ruby at Doncaster on Saturday.

"I spoke to the clerk of the course last night and it had dried out to good to soft, soft in places but they had a bit of rain last night and it's now soft, good to soft in places.

"They're due a couple of dry days but it all depends what they're going to get on Friday. We'll be leaving it until the last minute, declaration time, and seeing what the forecast looks like it's going to be doing.

"We're hopeful of running in that he's fit and well and ready to run and we'd very much like to run him.

"I don't know if people think we're being over-cautious but I can't stress enough how important the ground is to him. We're just biding our time and waiting to see what the weather throws at us.

"It's frustrating but we can't do much about the weather and it'll be what it'll be. We've got other options but the plan is definitely Saturday and we're very much on target to run then. Hopefully we will do but it will come down to Friday's forecast, I suspect."


New Sky Bet customers: Free matched bet up to £30