World Cup set for Melbourne

  • Last Updated: May 11 2013, 12:34 BST

The World Cup will be held outside of China for the first time since 2006 this year after Royal Melbourne was confirmed as the venue for the biennial event.

Matt Kuchar and Gary Woodland lift the World Cup

The news leaked out earlier this week when Northern Ireland's Graeme McDowell said he was looking forward to playing at Royal Melbourne and wanted to play alongside Rory McIlroy for the third time.

Mission Hills Group, which has hosted the tournament five times in China, including the last four editions, said the decision had been taken to ensure the tournament retained its "global status".

Vice chairman of Mission Hills Group Tenniel Chu said: "We're happy that the 2013 edition of the World Cup of Golf will be staged at Australia's Royal Melbourne Golf Club.

"Mission Hills recognises the need to maintain the tournament's prestigious global status, and as such we feel that both the tournament and the international golfing community will benefit from the 2013 edition being staged outside China.

"We do, however, remain supportive to the future of the tournament and are committed to hosting the event again when the tournament returns to China.

"Following the recent success of Australian players in international tournaments and the country's status as a leading international golf destination, Australia would be proud to stage this tournament once again and we wish the Royal Melbourne Golf Club every success with this year's event."

No date for the two-man team event was confirmed, but it is thought that it will be held from from November 21-24, the week after the Australian Masters at the same venue.


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet