Mark Webber staying at Red Bull

  • Last Updated: July 10 2012, 10:24 BST

Mark Webber has ended speculation over his future by signing a new deal with Red Bull Racing.

Mark Webber: Staying at Red Bull

The Australian, winner of Sunday's British Grand Prix at Silverstone, had been linked with a move to rivals Ferrari.

However, on Tuesday morning Red Bull announced Webber had signed a new one-year contract which will see him continue to partner world champion Sebastian Vettel at the Milton Keynes-based team in 2013.

Webber said: "I've been with Red Bull Racing since 2007 and have achieved nine grand prix wins during that time. I'm high on confidence at the moment and firing on all cylinders.

"I know the team well and I'm very comfortable here; we have grown together over the years and it feels like absolutely the right thing to stay with Red Bull for another season.

"The team is constantly working hard to improve in all areas and we've shown that together we can win races. It's great to be able to make this announcement off the back of the win in Silverstone at the weekend and I'm looking forward to competing on the edge and pushing myself in every race again next season."

The 35-year-old admitted "there were discussions with Ferrari" but said that "in the end" the decision to stay put was an easy one.

Team boss Christian Horner added: "Mark has driven very well in the first nine races of this season and his performance has been impressive. Much of his Formula One success has been during his time with Red Bull Racing and together we have achieved 10 poles, nine wins and 31 podiums.

"As there was a strong desire from both sides to continue the partnership, it was a logical decision to extend our relationship and it is with great pleasure that we confirm Mark will drive for us in 2013."

Webber currently trails Ferrari's Fernando Alonso by 13 points in this season's World Championship race.