Barnsley confirm takeover talks

  • Last Updated: December 20 2012, 11:52 GMT

Barnsley have confirmed two new separate parties have contacted the club with a view to a possible takeover at Oakwell.

Barnsley Football Club: Could have new owners

The Tykes confirmed in September that they had been approached by a potential overseas investor, now understood to have been based in Spain, while it was also reported at the time that an Iraq-based consortium had made enquiries.

The Spanish consortium appears to have cooled their interest, but Barnsley's general manager Don Rowing said other consortia had since made preliminary contact.

Rowing told Press Association Sport: "We've had renewed interest from other parties, but nothing is on the table. There has been preliminary contact and we have steered them in the right direction.

"A Spanish consortium had shown initial interest. They have gone very quiet since November, but there has been renewed interest from a couple of other parties without anything concrete.

"We don't know yet whether they are time-wasters. Barnsley is an attractive proposition because the club is debt-free, but it's like people coming to look round your house.

"They can come and have a look and then say no it's not for me. But we're going through the proper protocol in terms of confidentiality agreements and will wait and see if anything develops."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week