Allardyce: Ban thugs for life

  • Last Updated: December 14 2012, 14:54 GMT

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce believes modern technology and lifetime bans are the answer to stopping fan unrest at Premier League matches.

Allardyce: Lifetime bans are the answer to stopping fan unrest
Allardyce: Lifetime bans are the answer to stopping fan unrest

There have been calls this week for the introduction of netting in front of certain areas of grounds to prevent incidents such as Rio Ferdinand being cut above the eye by a coin thrown from an opposing fan in last Sunday's Manchester derby.

But Allardyce reckons using video footage and issuing lengthy bans will act as a deterrent, whereas installing netting could have the opposite effect.

"Its not for me," Allardyce said when asked if he thought netting would be a good idea.

"I think the more we use CCTV to weed out these individuals and ban them for life the less chance we have got of this kind of thing happening again.

"We don't want to start caging people in again, I know it is only netting but is more like they are trying to cage people in and I don't think that works, I think that creates a more volatile situation in the fanbase area.

"I think that, when it happens, we have got the technology today to weed them out and ban them for life."

CCTV footage was used last week during Swansea's match at home to Norwich when Canaries' defender Sebastien Bassong reported a racist incident to match referee Howard Webb as his team-mates celebrated a goal.

A supporter was arrested in connection with the incident after the club studied CCTV footage.

"That (lifetime bans) would send shivers across our country," said Allardyce.

"Fans are so passionate and want to watch football and if they aren't allowed to do what they want to do forever then I think it is going to cut it out."

Allardyce confirmed full-back George McCartney suffered a knee injury in training this week and the 31-year-old is now a major doubt for Sunday's match at West Brom.

McCartney is the latest in a long line of West Ham players to be sidelined and, as the squad continues to be tested to the limit, Allardyce reckons a foray into the transfer market when the window opens in January may be essential.

"Plans are under way, our policy is always to see what is out in the market in January," he said.

"I think with our injury list at the moment, which is pretty severe and very concerning as far as I'm concerned, and we obviously need to look in the market and see what we can do in January, it is critical for us to try and get one or two players in during that period."

West Ham travel to the Hawthorns to face a West Brom side who are in the midst of a minor slump following their fantastic start to the season under Steve Clarke.

Three league defeats in a row has blemished the run but the Baggies still sit sixth in the table and Allardyce knows they are a dangerous threat.

He said: "I think they are still playing well and competing very well. I saw how unfortunate they were to lose at Arsenal last week.

"Only two very poor refereeing decisions cost them the game so they may well have got something against Arsenal. At this moment in time, they are still playing very well but results have not matched the performances they have given.

"Their home form has been very good this year. Three defeats on the trot may put a little bit of doubt in their players and if that's the case we have to try and exploit that."

Allardyce was also keen to stress that Wally Downes had left the club "by mutual consent".

"At the moment that is all I'm prepared to say on the matter because I don't think I need to go any further publicly," said Allardyce.

"It was done between me and Wally and he is sorting out his terms and agreement with the club, that isn't sorted yet."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week