AVB: Chelsea a unique challenge

  • Last Updated: January 11 2013, 6:44 GMT

Andre Villas-Boas insists Harry Redknapp is in no place to judge whether only a "dope" can manage Chelsea.

AVB: Spoke of 'different type of club'
AVB: Spoke of 'different type of club'

Saturday sees Villas-Boas go head to head with QPR boss Redknapp for the first time since the 35-year-old replaced the former Southampton manager in the White Hart Lane hot seat last summer.

Redknapp, who was sacked in June despite leading Spurs to fourth, fifth, and fourth during his three full seasons in charge, appeared to aim a jibe at Villas-Boas earlier this season when he claimed that big dossiers - a staple of the Portuguese's management style - can "baffle" players.

Shortly after taking over at QPR in November, Redknapp then told a press conference before his team's game against Chelsea that only a "dope" could fail to succeed at the west London club with the riches and players on offer.

When asked what he thought of Redknapp's claims, Villas-Boas replied: "Only if you manage a club you are going to find out.

"You have to be able to access a club like that to experience it.

"It's a different type of club. You just have to experience it and to survive it."

Redknapp may be one of the most sociable managers in the country, but Villas-Boas, who came across the 65-year-old when Chelsea played Spurs last season, revealed that he has never really talked to his predecessor.

"I've never spoken to him," Villas-Boas said.

Villas-Boas was determined to succeed after being brought in to replace Carlo Ancelotti last summer, but amid reports of unrest among the playing staff, the former Porto boss was sacked after less than nine months in charge.

The Spurs boss could be forgiven for thinking he is better off out of Stamford Bridge given what has gone on since he left.

Despite landing the one trophy Roman Abramovich craved the most - the Champions League - Roberto Di Matteo lasted just eight months before being removed and it has been far from plain sailing for his successor Rafael Benitez.

The Spaniard was subjected to the latest in a series of barrackings from the home support as Chelsea lost 2-0 to Swansea in the first leg of their Capital One Cup semi-final.

Villas-Boas admits he feels under far less pressure at Spurs, who currently sit one place above the Blues in the Barclays Premier League.

"I was booed. It's a consequence of the demands of the job," Villas-Boas said.

"Chelsea is a high-profile club where media attention is high and everything is scrutinised and it's a different type of environment.

"This is a high-profile club but with different circumstances, different players, and different objectives and not so much media attention."

Villas-Boas may have already signed two players this month, but rumours persist that the Portuguese is set to add further names to his squad.

Yet the Spurs boss insisted that it is "very, very unlikely" he will bring in any more new faces this month despite the fact that he will be without Emmanuel Adebayor for up to a month following Saturday's game at Loftus Road.

Adebayor's decision to go to the African Nations Cup leaves Jermain Defoe as Tottenham's only recognised striker, but Villas-Boas gave a flat "no" when asked if he was interested in Sevilla's Alvaro Negredo and also played down reports linking him with a bid for Internacional hitman Leandro Damiao.

"Leandro is a player that we have always appreciated at this club (but) it is extremely unlikely that he will play for Tottenham," Villas-Boas said.

"I don't think Adebayor's decision will affect our transfer policy.

"We understand that we can put ourselves in a difficult position if one of our strikers gets injured, but we've been in this situation before when Ade was injured, and we managed to go through it."