Three wins in a row for Shrimps

  • Last Updated: August 19 2014, 22:42 BST

A review of Tuesday night's action in Sky Bet League 2, including victories for Morecambe, Burton and Portsmouth.

Kevin Ellison: Scored for Morecambe
Kevin Ellison: Scored for Morecambe

Morecambe continued their dream start to the League Two season by making it three straight wins with a 1-0 home victory over Oxford.

The Shrimps went into the new campaign as rank outsiders for promotion but followed up defeats of Dagenham & Redbridge and Newport thanks to Kevin Ellison's fourth strike this term on 39 minutes at Globe Arena.

Burton also have a maximum haul of nine points as Stuart Beavon stepped up to the plate following the sale of Billy Kee to score the only goal of the game against Exeter at Pirelli Stadium.

Pre-season title favourites Portsmouth remained unbeaten thanks to a 2-0 home victory over Northampton, with just over 15,000 at Fratton Park to see Jed Wallace and Craig Westcarr get on the scoresheet.

Shrewsbury took full advantage of Accrington having goalkeeper Luke Simpson sent off as they romped to a 4-0 success at New Meadow, with Andy Mangan bagging a brace, Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro netting from the penalty spot and Connor Goldson also on target.

Cheltenham failed to make it a hat-trick of league victories when having to settle for a 0-0 draw with Carlisle, who picked up their first point of the season at Whaddon Road Ground.

Luke Howell and Abu Ogogo hit the back of the net as Dagenham prevailed 2-0 at Hartlepool in a battle of two other teams who had nothing to show for their first two fixtures.

Pelly Ruddock equalised in injury time as Luton drew 1-1 with fellow promotion hopefuls Bury, who had hit the front just after the hour mark through Danny Rose.

Mansfield edged out Newport 1-0 thanks to a Chris Clements strike after just two minutes, while AFC Wimbledon won by the same scoreline at Southend after George Francomb netted on the hour mark.

There was late drama at Home Park as Deane Smalley converted a penalty eight minutes into stoppage time to earn Plymouth a 1-1 draw with Stevenage, who had gone ahead through Connor Calcutt.

Wes Fletcher also equalised from the spot late on as York fought back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 at home to Cambridge, with Jake Hyde having earlier pulled one back after Tom Elliott and a Kwesi Appiah penalty had put the visitors in control.

Cole Stockton and Max Power were on target as Tranmere ended Wycombe's winning run with a 2-0 success at Adams Park.