Celtic hit Dundee United for six

  • Last Updated: August 16 2014, 17:41 BST

A review of Saturday's action in the Scottish Premiership, starting with Celtic's 6-1 victory over Dundee United.

Celtic's Jason Denayer scores the opening goal of the game
Celtic's Jason Denayer scores the opening goal of the game

Celtic ran riot on their Scottish Premiership flag day with a 6-1 thrashing of hapless Dundee United at Parkhead.

Jason Denayer, the 19-year-old Belgian defender who arrived on a year-long loan from Manchester City last week, took only four minutes to make his mark by lashing the ball in from close range before goals by Kris Commons and Stefan Johansen had the points tied up by the interval.

In manager Ronny Deila's first game at Celtic Park since taking over from Neil Lennon, stand-in skipper Charlie Mulgrew claimed a fourth and Jo Inge Berget notched a fifth- his first since arriving on loan from Cardiff City - before Dundee United captain John Rankin pulled a goal back with Berget able to make it six in the last seconds.

Inverness claimed their second victory in a week from a visit to Lanarkshire, following up their win at Hamilton last Saturday by deservedly defeating a lacklustre Motherwell 2-0 at Fir Park to go top of the standings.

A great strike from Greg Tansey just before the interval gave Inverness the lead, and substitute Aaron Doran put the seal on the victory late on to give the scoreline a truer reflection of the visitors' dominance of the match

Darian MacKinnon grabbed the only goal of the game as newly-promoted Hamilton defeated St Johnstone to secure their second win in four days.

MacKinnon opened the scoring for the home side after 16 minutes and there was no reply from Saints, who came closest when Steven Anderson was denied by the woodwork in the second half.

Accies lost their opening game of the season against Inverness but have since bounced back with back to back wins over St Mirren and St Johnstone.

Kilmarnock held on for their first victory of the campaign as they won 2-1 at Ross County thanks to goals from Josh Magennis and Tope Obadeyi either side of the interval.

County substitute Liam Boyce pulled one back with nine minutes left on the clock but Killie held on for all three points.

Dundee passed up the chance to claim their first Premiership win of the new campaign as they ended up only drawing 1-1 with 10-man Partick Thistle at Dens Park.

Paul Hartley's side had the opportunity to take all three points through Gary Harkins' 59th minute penalty, but substitute Thistle goalkeeper Paul Gallacher saved his effort with his first piece of action after replacing the red-carded Scott Fox.

Thistle had surged into an early lead thanks to Gary Fraser's 25-yard drive, but were hauled back when substitute Craig Wighton stepped off the bench to level matters for the Tayside club with a well-taken goal within 10 minutes of the restart.