United beat Inter on penalties

  • Last Updated: July 30 2014, 8:32 BST

A review of Tuesday's pre-season action, including a penalty shoot-out win for Manchester United over Inter Milan.

Manchester United celebrate their shoot-out success
Manchester United celebrate their shoot-out success

Louis van Gaal maintained his unbeaten record as Manchester United boss following a penalty shoot-out win over Inter Milan in Washington DC.

All five United penalty takers found the net in a 5-3 showdown that followed a 0-0 draw after 90 minutes in the pre-season Guinness International Champions Cup tournament.

United only registered one shot on target in the first half, but they upped their game after the break.

Substitute Wilfried Zaha, making his first appearance of the tour, was particularly impressive playing as a striker, as was Luke Shaw.

Zaha and Tom Cleverley were unlucky not to be awarded penalties in normal time at the FedEx Field.

David de Gea only had one save to make during the match and he watched Marco Andreoli hit the bar from 12 yards, which allowed Darren Fletcher to fire home the winner.

Fletcher, Ashley Young, Javier Hernandez, Cleverley and Shinji Kagawa all scored fine penalties.

It was a far better performance from 12 yards than the dismal 2-1 shootout defeat to Sunderland under David Moyes last year.

After beating Roma last week, United now have one foot in the final of the Champions Cup, where they could face Manchester City.

It was an exciting end to a match that offered very little at the start.

The only flash point of the first half came when Phil Jones got in front of his marker to meet Juan Mata's corner, and Samir Handanovic saved acrobatically before smothering the ball.

Wayne Rooney cleared the bar and Juan Mata also belted a 25-yard shot just wide, but otherwise Handanovic had nothing to do.

United were passing the ball well, but they lacked energy in the final third.

Van Gaal looked to inject life into the match by bringing on eight players at half-time.

The likes of Rooney, Ander Herrera and Mata came off and Kagawa, Nani and Cleverley came on.

Shaw, who Van Gaal declared was unfit on the eve of the game, was given a chance to prove himself.

Another second-half substitute with something to prove, Zaha, made an early impact, racing through the Inter defence before former United centre-back Nemanja Vidic came to the rescue with a last-gasp intervention.

It proved to be the Serb's last significant act as he was substituted with 18 minutes to go.

Cleverley volleyed a shot just over the bar as United upped their game in the final quarter of the match.

Juan Pablo Carrizo parried Nani's effort from the close range and the ball fell to Kagawa, but he was blocked by Danilo D'Ambrosio.

Zaha's tidy step-over took him into the box, but he was brushed off the ball. The former Crystal Palace man appealed for a penalty but Edvin Juisevic waved play on.

The referee denied United another penalty moments later when Andreoli swept Cleverley's legs from underneath him.

Van Gaal brought on Hernandez for Nani, who had only been introduced at half-time.

Van Gaal strode the touchline and shouted towards the referee when he gave a foul against Cleverley when he won the ball.

De Gea was called into action for the first time when he saved well from Fredy Guarin's free-kick.

Zaha almost snatched a winner for United in normal time after a mazy run into the box.

When penalties came, United's takers were all fearless. Inter's were too, until Andreoli stepped up and hammered the ball against the bar.

In the other Champions Cup game, Roma beat Real Madrid 1-0 thanks to a goal from Francesco Totti.

Back in the UK, QPR continued their preparations for the new Premier League season with a 2-2 draw against Sky Bet League 1 side Leyton Orient at Brisbane Road.

Orient went ahead through Romain Vincelot's well-taken header, only for the R's to level thanks to a low, long-range effort from Junior Hoilett.

Joey Barton put Harry Redknapp's side in front with a well-taken free-kick in the second half, but the O's equalised with just six minutes to go when Dean Cox found the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

Burnley conceded a late winner to go down 2-1 against Preston in front of former North End and Manchester United manager David Moyes, who was in the crowd at Deepdale

The opening goal came in the 15th minute when new signing Lukas Jutkiewicz dispossessed Bailey Wright to put Burnley in front.

Preston's equaliser came seven minutes after the break as Alan Browne found the net, and their winner came in the final minute thanks to Josh Brownhill's superb free-kick.

Bafetimbi Gomis scored his first goal for Swansea and Josh Sheehan was also on target as Garry Monk's men secured a 2-0 victory over Exeter at St James Park.

Gomis, who also hit the post later in the game, opened the scoring when he got his head to the end of Neil Taylor's cross.

Stoke's tour of Germany ended with a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Schalke, with new signing Bojan opening his account for Mark Hughes' side following his move from Barcelona.

Bojan found the net in the 55th minute but Schalke levelled soon after through Joel Matip before Tranquillo Barnetta then scored the winner five minutes from time.

Mikael Mandron scored the only goal of the game from the penalty spot as Sunderland enjoyed a 1-0 victory over Recreativo de Huelva in Portugal.