Coloccini staying at Newcastle

  • By: Graeme Bailey
  • Last Updated: May 6 2014, 10:42 BST

Fabricio Coloccini has committed his future to Newcastle United and confirmed that he will be staying on Tyneside.

Fabricio Coloccini: Staying with Newcastle United
Fabricio Coloccini: Staying with Newcastle United

The 32-year-old has long been linked with a move away from the club after asking to be allowed to move back to his native Argentina in January last year.

Newcastle refused to entertain letting Coloccini - their captain - leave as he was tied to the club on a long-term deal.

The influential central defender, who will be heading to the World Cup finals with Argentina this summer, has now committed his future to the Tyneside club.

When asked if he would stay at United, Coloccini told the Shields Gazette: "For sure. I'm going to be here."

Coloccini says he has overcome the issues which prompted him to ask for a move.

"I had personal problems," said Coloccini.

"Sometimes it's tough. You have to decide between the problems and the work.

"Sometimes it's too difficult. Now it's finished, and next season I will be here. I'm looking forward to improving.

"We want the best for Newcastle United.

"This season we finished top 10, and maybe we will bring some players (in the summer).

"We will try to do well and finish in the top eight, or something like that. We will always try to improve."

Coloccini is a big fans' favourite and admits he has sympathy for their frustrations, which they vented throughout Newcastle's final home game of the season against Cardiff at the weekend.

"We understand the fans," said Coloccini.

"We know that we didn't do well in the last two or three months.

"We have to accept that and be honest on the pitch. We have to always give the same - 100 per cent like we did (against Cardiff)."