Cellino's Leeds takeover wait

  • Last Updated: February 25 2014, 15:11 GMT

Prospective Leeds owner Massimo Cellino has been told he must wait to complete his takeover of the Championship club as the Football League gathers more information about the Italian.

Massimo Cellino: Takeover of Leeds put on hold
Massimo Cellino: Takeover of Leeds put on hold

The club's current owners Gulf Finance House Ltd (GFH) confirmed earlier this month that they agreed the sale of the club to Eleonara Sport, owned by Italian Cellino. Cellino will spend £25million to own a 75% share of the Yorkshire outfit.

The Football League met to discuss Cellino's potential buy-out on Tuesday, but have requested more time to rubberstamp the deal as they seek more information on the Miami-based businessman.

In a statement, the Football League said: "The Football League remains in discussions with both the owners and proposed purchasers of Leeds United, regarding the planned change of ownership.

"To date, a significant amount of the requested information has been supplied by GFH and Eleonora Sport, but there are still a number of outstanding matters that will require further submissions from the two parties. There is also the realistic prospect of there being further questions arising out of these submissions that they will be required to answer.

"The board of the Football League is next scheduled to meet on March 13 where it will receive an update on the matter from the League's executive, unless all the remaining issues can be resolved satisfactorily in advance of this date."

Cellino has previous convictions from his time in Italy, where he owns Serie A club Cagliari.

Cellino made his first public outing since agreeing to buy the club during Saturday's 0-0 draw against Middlesbrough at the Riverside Stadium.


New Sky Bet customers: Free matched bet up to £30