Potters punish stayaway Jones
Stoke boss Mark Hughes has expressed his disappointment at Kenwyne Jones' refusal to play against Liverpool - behaviour which has landed the Potters striker a fine and means he will not be considered for Saturday's game at Crystal Palace.
- Related Content
Jones was missing from the matchday squad when Stoke were beaten 5-3 by the Reds at the Britannia Stadium in the Barclays Premier League on Sunday.
It was subsequently reported that the 29-year-old Trinidad and Tobago international - rumoured to be a transfer target of Everton - had sent a text message to Hughes on the night before the contest to say he was unavailable for selection and, as a result, had been fined the equivalent of two weeks' wages.
Asked about that on Thursday at his press conference to preview the top-flight clash with Palace, Hughes said: "What was reported was what happened.
"I was disappointed and Kenwyne has been fined because it is not something that should happen.
"We spoke on Monday. He has been in this week training and we get on with it.
"He won't be involved this weekend, because maybe the events of last weekend are still in his mind.
"But moving forward, we'll have to wait and see."
Jones joined Stoke in 2010, has made only seven league appearances this season and is on a contract that runs out at the end of the campaign.
Hughes has indicated he believes thoughts of other clubs have been on the frontman's mind, but has also stressed there has been no contact from potential suitors in the current transfer window.
When asked about the talk of Everton's interest, Hughes said: "Maybe that's the problem - that maybe people are telling him there are clubs in for him.
"We've had no contact from anybody in this window, so maybe the information isn't what it seems from the outside.
"But we'll have to wait and see. The transfer window is open and a lot of things happen in a window."
Hughes added: "Sometimes you make mistakes and on this occasion Kenwyne made a mistake. I accept that sometimes that can happen."
Hughes also said there has been no approach made by Galatasaray for Charlie Adam, despite the Stoke midfielder being linked with the Turkish side.
There is an incoming deal though, with the Stoke manager saying United States striker Juan Agudelo is "tied" to the Potters.
Agudelo wrote on Twitter on Tuesday that he had signed for Stoke.
The Staffordshire outfit have failed in their attempts to get a work permit for Agudelo and cannot re-apply until March.
But it is understood they are in the process of trying to find a European club not so tightly bound by regulations who are willing to take the 21-year-old on loan in the interim, and that they are confident they have a more favourable chance of succeeding with a work permit application second time around, particularly if Agudelo is playing regularly in Europe.
Stoke have been quiet on the completion of Agudelo's signing, but Hughes said on Thursday: "We have tied him to the club.
"We are not in a position to play him because - unbelievably - the work permit was refused.
"So we have to look at different options. We are trying to get him some football with a loan deal outside of these waters, and then we'll try to re-apply.
"We don't want this opportunity to go away because we feel he is an outstanding young talent - one of the best young talents to come out of America.
"If we come to a brick wall after investigating every possibility, maybe we will have to hold our hands up and say it is not to be.
"But at the moment we are not in that position."
Earlier this week, Hughes turned midfielder Stephen Ireland's loan from Aston Villa into a permanent deal, and brought in a fresh loanee in Manchester City striker John Guidetti.
Both players will be part of the squad for the meeting with Palace, who are managed by former Stoke boss Tony Pulis.
Hughes intends to stick with Jack Butland in goal for the game, even though the England international conceded five goals against Liverpool in what was his first full Premier League match.
On-loan Liverpool winger Oussama Assaidi will be available after being ineligible for Sunday's clash with Liverpool, his parent club. Asmir Begovic, Robert Huth, Andy Wilkinson and Matthew Etherington miss out due to injuries.