Montpellier: No Cabella deal

  • Last Updated: January 4 2014, 14:32 GMT

Montpellier chief Laurent Nicollin has dismissed reports that he has agreed a deal with Newcastle to sell Remy Cabella.

Remy Cabella: Linked with move to Newcastle
Remy Cabella: Linked with move to Newcastle

The 23-year-old has impressed in Ligue 1 so far this season, making 18 appearances and finding the net on six occasions, including an opening day strike against PSG.

Newcastle are understood to be keen to add Cabella to their fraternity of French stars, but Nicollin says that the midfielder is unlikely to leave during the January transfer window.

"He is at the club so far," he told RMC. "It has not been forecasted that he would leave in January.

"There has been talk about a departure in June, there is an agreement in principle."

Asked if Newcastle had been in contact, Nicollin said: "Not at all, I don't speak English.

"Agents have called me, but I am on holiday. We will see, on Monday.

"Anyway, there is absolutely no contact with that club.

"Remy is at the club and I hope he will remain until June. Of course, there are some offers you cannot refuse."


New Sky Bet customers: Free £30 matched bet