Leicester top as Clarets lose

  • Last Updated: November 30 2013, 19:45 GMT

A review of Saturday's action in the Sky Bet Championship, as Leicester went top of the table after beating Millwall.

Jamie Vardy celebrates his goal for Leicester
Jamie Vardy celebrates his goal for Leicester

Jamie Vardy and Lloyd Dyer were on target as Leicester City crushed Millwall 3-0 to storm to the top of the Sky Bet Championship.

Dyer fired the Foxes in front with a 12th-minute volley, and two goals in two minutes early in the second half by Vardy clinched the victory at the King Power Stadium and took them three points clear.

It was Leicester's seventh home win of the season and ended Millwall's run of success against them. The Lions have done the double over Leicester for the last two seasons.

Previous leaders Burnley dropped to second after their 12-match unbeaten run was ended in a 2-1 defeat at Huddersfield.

Burnley-born Oliver Norwood, who ran the show against his home town club, struck a 30-yard volley on 50 minutes straight from a corner.

And James Vaughan won the points five minutes later from the spot after Michael Duff was controversially penalised for handball.

Danny Ings drilled in a consolation 16 minutes from time but Burnley then had Duff sent off for a second yellow in the fourth minute of stoppage time to cap a miserable day for the Lancastrians.

Third-placed QPR also lost as struggling Doncaster came from behind to win 2-1 thanks to a 89th-minute winner from full back Paul Quinn.

The victory was no more than Rovers deserved for a gritty display after falling behind to a Charlie Austin goal in the 43rd minute.

Theo Robinson equalised with a curling effort which looked more like an attempted cross in the 48th minute and Rangers were unable to raise their game and restore their lead.

Instead it was Doncaster who stepped up the pace and they were rewarded when Quinn headed his first goal for the club in fine style following a corner.

Barnsley now prop up the league after their 3-0 defeat to Birmingham - and the south Yorkshire club responded by sacking manager David Flitcroft soon after the match.

Former Bury and Rochdale midfielder Flitcroft, 39, was in charge of the club for less than a year after taking over from Keith Hill in December 2012.

Flitcroft, appointed permanent boss after two wins in three games as caretaker, guided the Tykes to safety on the final day of last season, but Saturday's reverse - their 10th in 17 league games - was one too many for the Oakwell board.

Blues right-back Paul Caddis scored his first-ever goal for Birmingham, then followed it up with his second before Nikola Zigic competed the comprehensive win.

Middlesbrough needed a penalty to earn a scrappy 1-0 win over Bolton in new boss Aitor Karanka's Riverside debut.

Grant Leadbitter deftly swept home from the spot late on but victory was only assured after Jermaine Beckford missed a late spot-kick for Bolton.

Tommy Spurr scored his first home goal for Blackburn as Rovers won for the first time in three league games with a 1-0 victory over Leeds.

The defender was on hand on the stroke of half-time to convert David Dunn's corner.

Tommy Smith's early header gave Ipswich back-to-back victories away from home as they beat Charlton 1-0 at The Valley.

The defender converted Aaron Cresswell's corner in the fifth minute for the only goal in a game that showed why both teams have struggled for consistency this season.

Ipswich were happy to sit on their lead and invite pressure, while Charlton found it difficult to pass to each other and - bar a Rhoys Wiggins shot that was palmed on to the post by Dean Gerken - could not create anything meaningful and remain with just seven goals at home all season.

Ishmael Miller scored on his debut as Yeovil recorded a 3-0 win over Watford to consign Gianfranco Zola's men to a fourth successive home defeat.

Byron Webster nodded the visitors in front on the stroke of half-time before second-half efforts from Miller and Joe Edwards finished the job for the Sky Bet Championship strugglers.

Goals from Ricardo Fuller and Dan Gosling saw Blackpool run out 2-0 winners over lowly Sheffield Wednesday at Bloomfield Road.

Fuller opened the scoring with a close-range finish after six minutes and though the Owls had plenty of chances to get back in the game - with Jeremy Helan and Connor Wickham guilty of bad misses - Gosling's second-half strike sealed the points for promotion-chasing Blackpool.

A touch of class from Brighton striker Ashley Barnes rescued a point in a 1-1 draw at Bournemouth.

Barnes cancelled out Matt Ritchie's first-half strike after lashing home a volley past Cherries goalkeeper Lee Camp.

Barnes' 55th-minute shot saw him bring the ball under control from a throw-in with his back to goal before angling a left-foot effort at the net.

It was his fourth goal of the season and his equaliser ensured Bournemouth secured their first draw at home this season.

New Sky Bet customers: Claim free £5 bet every week