Hull cut Cardiff's lead; Watford win

  • Last Updated: February 19 2013, 22:41 GMT

A review of Tuesday night's action in the Championship, including a defeat for Cardiff and wins for Hull and Watford.

  • Ikechi Anya scored Watford's first goal of the night
  • Radoslaw Majewski scored a hat-trick for Nottingham Forest 

Cardiff's lead at the top of the npower Championship was cut to five points by Hull after the Bluebirds were beaten 2-0 by Brighton.

While the Welsh side were going down to only their second home defeat of the season, Hull beat Blackburn 2-0.

Brighton went ahead two minutes before half-time after Jose Ulloa whipped in a cross which found Andrea Orlandi in front of goal and he flicked the ball home with the outside of his foot.

The Bluebirds enjoyed greater possession and hit the woodwork four times but it was the Seagulls who breached their opponents' defence when Ulloa pounced in injury time. Brighton remain seventh.

Hull claimed their third successive victory to cut the gap at the top.

The Tigers went ahead in the 52nd minute when Stephen Quinn hooked the ball in from the edge of the area and found Mohamed Gedo who slotted home a low shot from close range.

Hull doubled their lead (67) when Quinn raced down the left-hand side, before checking back to send in a right-footed cross which found Ahmed Elmohamady and he volleyed home.

Watford maintained their challenge with a 2-0 win at Ipswich to remain third.

The Hornets made an impressive start which was capped by Ikechi Anya's 18th-minute goal after he collected a dinked pass from Troy Deeney before placing the ball into the back of the net.

Watford doubled their lead (72) when Nathaniel Chalobah rounded the goalkeeper and poked the ball home.

Crystal Palace remain fourth after a >2-1 win over Bristol City who are now bottom of the table.

Palace had a goal incorrectly disallowed for offside and then hit the bar but they went ahead in the 34th minute when the prolific Glenn Murray got ahead of his defender and volleyed home from a tight angle.

City improved in the second half but Palace substitute Stephen Dobbie curled home a long-range free kick (65) to make it 2-0.

The Robins pulled a goal back deep into injury-time when Jonathan Parr headed into his own net but there was no time to find an equaliser.

Charlton put a dent in Leicester's challenge when they won 2-1 at the Foxes.

Charlton took a 19th-minute lead, Bradley Pritchard pouncing on a poor backpass and releasing the ball to Yann Kermorgant who slotted home.

Leicester took until the 69th minute to draw level, Chris Wood slotting home.

The Addicks regained the lead (78) with a great finish from Danny Haynes.

Radoslaw Majewski scored a first-half hat-trick as Nottingham Forest eased to a 6-1 win over Huddersfield who are slipping closer to the drop zone.

The Terriers went ahead in the 10th minute when James Vaughan volleyed home.

Majewski levelled in the 21st minute and three minutes later Forest were ahead, Andy Reid whipping in a free-kick which found Elliott Ward in the six-yard box and he headed home.

Majewski scored his second of the night (37) with a low shot before he completed his hat-trick (43) when he drove home a fierce 30-yard effort which gave Alex Smithies in the Terriers goal no chance.

Henri Lansbury got Forest's fifth (55) when he took advantage of lax defending before Darius Henderson headed home in injury time.

Barnsley and Wolves traded places in the relegation zone after the south Yorkshire side came from behind to win 2-1.

Wolves started well and took a seventh-minute lead when Bjorn Sigurdarson beat the defence for pace and went round goalkeeper Luke Steele before coolly slotting the ball home.

But Barnsley levelled in the 49th minute when Chris Dagnall nodded home at the far post.

The Tykes' dominance was then rewarded when Jacob Mellis put them ahead (73) and victory dumped Wolves into the bottom three.

Peterborough climbed off the bottom with a 5-1 win at 10-man Millwall.

Peterborough went ahead at Millwall when Lee Tomlin fired home from 18 yards in the seventh minute.

However, the Lions levelled just six minutes later, James Henry lobbing the ball home.

The Posh regained the lead (32) when a sharp finish from Tommy Rowe gave the Lions goalkeeper no chance before Tomlin got his second of the night (55).

Peterborough got a fourth when Nathaniel Mendez-Laing (59) scored a fine individual effort capped by an unstoppable shot.

Ten minutes later it got worse for Millwall as Shane Lowry was sent off for a professional foul on Dwight Gayle before George Boyd got their fifth (88).

Derby and Bolton drew 1-1. Richard Keogh scored an own goal in first-half injury-time to put the Trotters ahead with Jamie Ward levelling nine minutes from time.

Birmingham and Sheffield Wednesday shared a 0-0 draw while Burnley v Middlesbrough also finished goalless.

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week