Bernstein's bid to stay fails

  • Last Updated: October 17 2012, 20:12 BST

FA chairman David Bernstein has been defeated in his bid to stay in the role beyond the age limit of 70.

David Bernstein: Set to leave his post next spring

A proposal to allow him to stay on in the post beyond next May was rejected by the FA council.

The FA also failed to get through a proposal for board members to be paid a retainer and increased daily allowances - the proposal was withdrawn without a vote being taken.

Bernstein, who said he respected the decision, has proved himself someone not afraid to make a stand since he replaced Lord Triesman in December 2010.

He took the decision to strip John Terry of the England captaincy earlier this year, accepted the resignation of Fabio Capello as a result, and staged a lone and ultimately unsuccessful protest against the unopposed election of FIFA president Sepp Blatter.

Bernstein said: "I respect the decision and I remain committed to fulfilling my responsibilities and to building on what we have achieved over the past two years.

"Next year is a significant one in the FA's history and I look forward to leading the organisation in the months ahead."

The FA board had unanimously backed Bernstein's bid to stay on but the council, subject to their own age limit, rejected the move with a number of members speaking out against it.

Bernstein will now be forced to leave in the middle of the FA's 150th anniversary celebrations next May.

An FA statement read: "The board had asked the chairman to continue beyond next May until summer 2014 and it subsequently put forward the proposal to today's FA council meeting.

"Despite strong support for the chairman's ongoing leadership, in a close vote the council voted against the amendment on the basis that it would be inappropriate to change known and agreed rules on an individual basis."

England boss Roy Hodgson will continue to enjoy working with Bernstein but admitted he can do nothing to prevent the FA chairman being ousted.

"I have a very good relationship with David Bernstein," Hodgson said.

"He is the person who appointed me and I have worked closely with him over my five months.

"I have really enjoyed that, have been really happy to work with him and will enjoy working with him until next July.

"But these are not decisions that are anything to do with me and football.

"Decisions over whether he can stay on beyond his 70th birthday is a matter for the Football Association.

"They are my employers. If a decision is made under the constitution that he is not allowed to continue, there is not a lot he or I can do about it."


Click here for a completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet