Man City and Everton crash out

  • Last Updated: September 25 2012, 22:53 BST

A review of Tuesday night's action in the Capital One Cup third round, including defeats for Manchester City and Everton.

  • Aston Villa celebrate against Manchester City
  • Aidan White scored Leeds' opening goal against Everton 
  • Chelsea thrashed Wolves 6-0 at Stamford Bridge 

Gabriel Agbonlahor scored his first goals since January as Aston Villa twice came from behind to knock Manchester City out of the Capital One Cup with a 4-2 extra-time victory at the Etihad Stadium.

The England international hit two against the Barclays Premier League champions, semi-finalists in this competition in two of the last three seasons.

Mario Balotelli and then Aleksandar Kolarov had twice put the hosts ahead while Villa old boy Gareth Barry's helped his former team's cause with an own-goal equaliser and Agbonlahor took the third-round tie to extra-time.

Charles N'Zogbia scored only his third goal since his summer 2011 move from Wigan to put Villa ahead early in the added period, and Agbonlahor ensured there was no way back with his second goal seven minutes from the end.

Leeds claimed a significant scalp as they held off late pressure from Everton to move into the fourth round with a 2-1 victory at Elland Road.

Neil Warnock's side made an ideal start to the game with a fine individual effort by Aidan White, the midfielder weaving his way through the visiting defence before unleashing a fierce drive into the net in just the fourth minute.

David Moyes could have been critical of his side's defending for that goal but would have been even less impressed as the hosts doubled their lead with 20 minutes remaining.

A free-kick from the left of the area found an unmarked Danny Pugh whose shot was backheeled in by Rodolph Austin.

Everton clawed their way back into the game with nine minutes remaining when Victor Anichebe's cross into the box found Sylvain Distin whose header looped into the net, but they could not muster an equaliser.

Compared to the excitement in West Yorkshire, all that was in doubt at Stamford Bridge was the number of goals Chelsea would score as they hammered Wolves. They settled for a 6-0 win.

The writing was on the wall for the Championship side as they were three goals down within 17 minutes thanks to strikes by Gary Cahill, Ryan Bertrand and Juan Mata.

An Oriol Romeu penalty (53), Fernando Torres (58) and Victor Moses (71) saw the Blues ease to the next round.

Two moments of individual magic proved enough for 10-man Sunderland to see off a spirited MK Dons side at Stadium:mk.

The game lacked quality for large periods but two second-half goals, a fantastic Craig Gardner free-kick and a well-taken solo effort from James McClean, secured safe passage for Sunderland.

Wigan enjoyed an emphatic 4-1 victory at West Ham.

There was little sign of what was to come when Modibo Maiga gave the Hammers an early lead. Two goals by Mauro Boselli, an Ivan Ramis strike and a Jordi Gomez penalty eased Roberto Martinez's side through.

A last-minute goal by Garry Monk saw Swansea secure a hard-earned 3-2 win at Crawley.

The Premier League side went ahead through a fierce Miguel Michu shot after 27 minutes before the hosts levelled through Josh Simpson just before half-time.

The League One team then took the lead thanks to Hope Akpan 17 minutes into the second half, only for the Swans to equalise 12 minutes later through Danny Graham's close-range header.

With extra-time looming, Crawley were just found wanting as Monk headed home Wayne Routledge's corner.

Jay Rodriguez scored in the 30th minute and with a penalty 12 minutes from time as Southampton beat Championship side Sheffield Wednesday 2-0 at St Mary's.

League One Swindon moved into the fourth round with a 3-1 win over Championship Burnley.

Paul Benson (19) and Andy Williams (42) gave the Robins a 2-0 half-time lead.

Although Charlie Austin pulled one back (74), Troy Archibald-Henville sealed the win with seven minutes remaining.

Middlesbrough beat Preston 3-1 at Deepdale.

Two goals up after 18 minutes through Emmanuel Ledesma and Marouane Zemmama, Boro were then put under some pressure when Jack King scored for the Lilywhites five minutes before the break.

However, Richard Smallwood put the tie beyond their reach with half an hour left.

A goal seconds from the end of extra time saw Bradford secure a 3-2 win over Burton.

Billy Kee (18) and Aaron Webster (29) gave the visitors a two-goal lead but two goals by Nahki Wells in the final seven minutes sent the game into extra time.

A Stephen Darby screamer with just seconds left before penalties then sent Bradford through.

Click here for a completely free £10 bet on the Capital One Cup with Sky Bet