Whelan blasts Chelsea over Moses

  • Last Updated: August 15 2012, 19:28 BST

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has accused Chelsea of "messing about" over their pursuit of Victor Moses, warning them to pay the asking price or forget signing the forward.

Moses: Would cost around £9million

The Latics are said to be holding out for a fee in the region of £9million for the 21-year-old forward Moses, who is out of contract next summer.

Whelan has claimed Chelsea have made an offer which includes add-ons based on appearances for the former England Under-21 international, who scored six Premier League goals last season.

He told Sky Sports News: "Chelsea have got to make their mind up - yes or no - and at present they're messing about a little bit which is unusual for Chelsea because they're up front if they want someone.

"They would usually go and make a bid and get the player.

"With Victor, Chelsea have come in with offers including payments later, etc.

"It's unusual for Chelsea because they're usually a very straightforward club.

"If they come with the fee, we'll sell him. If they don't, we'll keep him.

"I'd like to keep Victor - I think he'll benefit enormously from spending another season - or two or three seasons - under Roberto Martinez."

Whelan's latest update on Moses' future may not please Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo, who last week refused to discuss the transfer saga and expressed mock surprise that the Wigan chairman had persistently raised it publicly.

Moses would doubtless jump at the chance to move to Stamford Bridge, despite the danger of ending up on the fringes in the same way as Romelu Lukaku, who has revealed the depth of his frustration over his first year at the club following his loan move to West Brom.

It had been thought Moses' departure from Wigan would be eased by the arrival at Wigan yesterday of Ivory Coast striker Arouna Kone.

The 28-year-old completed his move from Spanish side Levante yesterday for an undisclosed fee, signing a three-year deal.

He scored 15 goals last season as Levante surprisingly finished sixth in the Primera Division, and he joined Ryo Miyaichi, Ivan Ramis and Fraser Fyvie among the new faces at the DW Stadium.

And Kone has revealed Latics boss Martinez's devotion to stylish football helped make up his mind to move.

Kone told www.wiganlatics.co.uk: "I'm very happy to be here and I'm doubly happy because I know how hard the manager has had to fight to get me here.

"I'm impatient to get started with my new club. It's a great challenge for me. Roberto has told me about the philosophy of the club, how it's a family club.

"He is a young manager who is trying to build something special here.

"He told me how he likes his teams to play on the floor, which is a style that I'm used to in Spain, and these were words which really persuaded me to join."

Wigan begin their Barclays Premier League campaign on Sunday with a home game against Chelsea, and Kone is hoping to be involved.

He said: "It's up to the manager of course but I'm ready having done all of my pre-season with Levante.

"I feel great and I would love to be able to take part in such a big game.

"I'm going to give my all every time I put the shirt on this season and I'm sure we can make progress in the league.

"I really hope that the fans will be satisfied that I'm a player who gives everything."