Speroni: Players respect Millen

  • Last Updated: August 26 2014, 14:35 BST

Julian Speroni has revealed the Crystal Palace squad want caretaker boss Keith Millen to stay at Selhurst Park even if he does not secure the permanent manager's job.

Keith Millen: Currently in caretaker charge of Crystal Palace
Keith Millen: Currently in caretaker charge of Crystal Palace

Millen was Tony Pulis' number two at Palace before taking temporary control when the former Stoke manager left the club by mutual consent just two days before the start of the season after rows with the board over transfer strategy.

A host of names have been linked to the Palace hotseat since then, with Millen also throwing his hat into the ring, and Speroni believes he has a lot to offer a potential new boss if he is not successful himself.

"He worked alongside Ian Holloway and Tony Pulis, so he has the experience," said Speroni.

"Okay, not as the main man, but he certainly has experience in the Premier League. We know Keith very well and respect him a lot."

He added: "If he does not get the job, who better to help the new man who comes in?

"He knows the players and the whole club inside out."

Palace were overwhelmed 3-1 by West Ham at Selhurst Park on Saturday, their second straight defeat of the new Premier League campaign.

Millen will take charge of Tuesday night's Capital One Cup trip to Walsall, but co-chairman Steve Parish is now hopeful of securing a new permanent manager before the end of the week.

Former Bristol City manager Millen joined Palace's backroom staff in November 2012, remaining at the club despite the departures of both Holloway and Pulis.

Palace were forced to steer away from first choice Malky Mackay after allegations of racism and homophobia levelled against him by former club Cardiff led to an FA enquiry.

The Eagles' sporting director Iain Moody resigned in the wake of the investigation urged by Cardiff, owing to his time as head of recruitment with the Bluebirds.

Tim Sherwood pulled out of the running for the Palace job after being deemed initial second choice to Mackay, while Ally McCoist and Neil Lennon have distanced themselves from links to the role.

Steve Clarke has signalled his interest, while former Norwich and Newcastle boss Chris Hughton remains an option to Parish.

Palace have just a week to add three more signings before the transfer window closes, with Millen still directing club recruitment.

Speroni said despite obvious pressures Palace must not rush selecting their new manager.

"As good as it will be as soon as possible, you do not want to rush into a decision," he said.

"I am sure the chairman will make sure the right man takes charge of the team."