Hearts victory comes at a cost

  • Last Updated: July 26 2014, 18:10 BST

Hearts swept into the second round of the Petrofac Training Cup with a 3-1 victory over Annan Athletic at Tynecastle.

Callum Paterson: Hearts defender scored - but was stretchered off against Annan
Callum Paterson: Hearts defender scored - but was stretchered off against Annan

However, their joy at their progress was tempered by the fact that defender Callum Paterson suffered a serious-looking knee injury.

The Championship side dominated from the start, and Billy King (8) danced into the box before firing into the top corner to open the scoring.

Ryan McStay had a sight of goal for Annan as the rain began to fall but could not find the target and debutant Osman Sow (19) promptly doubled the home side's advantage with a quality finish.

Paterson (40) rose to meet King's cross and bullet a header past Alex Mitchell but the full-back was to fall with no-one near him shortly afterwards and was helped from the field by some anxious backroom staff. 

Sow - who joined Hearts on a free transfer after leaving Crystal Palace - did well to set up King but the latter could not find the finish from a tight angle while Jason Holt fired over the top when well placed.

Dale Carrick saw his goal attempt hacked off the goalline as Hearts maintained their stranglehold but Scott Davidson was to have the last word with a fine consolation for Annan. 

Meanwhile, Dunfermline's home game against Cup holders Raith Rovers was postponed after a heavy thunderstorm waterlogged East End Park just before kick-off.

Falkirk won 7-1 at Livingston, with Blair Alston bagging a brace as they scored five goals in 20 second-half minutes, and Championship new boys Alloa were also in free-scoring mood, winning 4-1 at Arbroath, Greig Spence netting a hat-trick.

League Two side Montrose had two men sent off as they went down 3-0 at home to Peterhead, all the goals coming in the opening period.

But the result of the day came at Dudgeon Park as the Highland League's representatives Brora Rangers beat League One Stenhousemuir 3-1 after extra time, with Zander Sutherland the hat-trick hero.