Motherwell beaten by Cottagers

  • Last Updated: July 12 2014, 20:03 BST

A review of Saturday's pre-season friendly action, including Fulham winning 2-0 against Motherwell.

Fulham's summer signing Ross McCormack salutes the travelling fans
Fulham's summer signing Ross McCormack salutes the travelling fans

Motherwell suffered a 2-0 home defeat in their final friendly before their Europa League opener as Fulham's £11million signing Ross McCormack made his debut against his former club.

Cameron Burgess opened the scoring in the 19th minute with a free header from a corner and home goalkeeper Dan Twardzik fumbled a second-half strike from Konstantinos Stafylidis over his line.

The summer signing from Dundee recovered to make some decent late saves, including a diving stop from McCormack, who played 90 minutes alongside fellow former Motherwell player Shaun Hutchinson.

Zaine Francis-Angol went off with a tight hamstring 10 minutes after coming on as a second-half substitute for Motherwell, who host Icelandic side Stjarnan in the Europa League at Fir Park on Thursday.

Motherwell manager Stuart McCall is continuing his search for a striker after David Clarkson failed to win a return to Fir Park.

Clarkson was training with Motherwell for two weeks after leaving Bristol Rovers, but McCall is looking for a more direct replacement for Henrik Ojaama and Henri Anier, who were sold in each of the last two summers.

McCall said: "David is no longer with us. He trained well and is a decent lad, but he's not exactly what we're looking for.

"We're looking for someone with pace to go in beyond - someone like Ojaama and Anier."

Stewart Downing scored a last-gasp equaliser as West Ham came from two goals down to draw their opening pre-season friendly 2-2 at Stevenage.

The Sky Bet League 2 side took the lead just after the half-hour mark when Tom Pett took advantage of a mix-up in the Hammers' defence.

Keeper Adrian came sliding out of goal but failed to gather a header back from Aaron Cresswell, leaving Pett to slot home.

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce made 11 changes at the break but the hosts went two up when a trialist turned neatly before shooting past Jussi Jaaskelainen into the bottom corner.

However, experienced winger Matt Jarvis pulled a goal back with six minutes remaining when heading home unmarked from close range following a Guy Demel cross.

Jarvis turned provider in injury time, crossing from the left byline for Downing to nod in at the far post.

Dundee United finished off their tour of Ireland with a 4-0 win over Bohemians in Dublin

The Tangerines opened the scoring when flicked home Nadir Ciftci's cross before the provider then tucked away a penalty just before the break.

Stuart Armstrong fired home number three on 64 minutes before a second spot-kick, this time converted by sub Brian Graham, rounded off the scoring.

Inverness were also victorious as they beat Elgin 2-1 at the Borough Briggs.

Craig Gunn had the League Two hosts ahead when he netted from close range but Billy McKay levelled for the Premiership men before Marley Watkins bagged a late winner.

Fellow top-flight side St Johnstone had to rely on David Wotherspoon equaliser saving them from defeat against Raith Rovers after Christian Nade had put the Fifers ahead at Stark's Park.

Hibs, meanwhile, eased past Berwick Rangers as debutant David Gray, Liam Craig, Tom Gardiner and Lewis Allan handed them a 4-0 win.

Edinburgh rivals Hearts were also in winning form with a 3-0 win over East Fife following strikes from Prince Bauben, Gary Oliver and Swedish trialist Osman Sow.