Prandelli quits Italy job

  • By: Nadia Carminati
  • Last Updated: June 24 2014, 21:00 BST

Italy coach Cesare Prandelli has announced his resignation after the 1-0 defeat to Uruguay knocked his side out of the World Cup.

Cesare Prandelli: Italy coach has stepped down after World Cup exit
Cesare Prandelli: Italy coach has stepped down after World Cup exit

Prandelli took up the post in 2010 and led his country to the final of Euro 2012 but his side failed to qualify from World Cup Group D following two defeats at the hands of Costa Rica and Uruguay after a 2-1 win over England in their opening game.

He announced he has submitted his resignation to the Italian FA's president, Giancarlo Abete, who says he hopes Prandelli will reconsider his decision, while Abete himself has also stepped down.

However, former Fiorentina and Roma coach Prandelli said he will stand by his decision to resign.

Prandelli said: “I talked to the President of the Federation and Demetrio Albertini, and gave my resignation. The technical set-up didn't work, and I take all responsibility for that.

“Something has changed since my contract was renewed. I don't know why. I chose a certain technical plan and that's why I am resigning, because it did not work. My resignation is irrevocable."

Abete also announced he is stepping down, saying: "I would like to announce my resignation. I do hope that at the forthcoming meeting of the board, they can persuade Cesare to reconsider his position.

“I had already made my decision before the World Cup."