Jose Riga leaves Charlton

  • By: Graeme Bailey
  • Last Updated: May 21 2014, 19:17 BST

Jose Riga has confirmed he will not be in charge of Charlton next season.

Jose Riga: Leaves Charlton
Jose Riga: Leaves Charlton

The Belgian coach only took charge in March and managed to keep the Addicks in the Championship after presiding over seven wins, three draws and six defeats.

He revealed to Sky Sports News that his contract was only until the end of the 2013/14 season and that he had achieved his "mission" in keeping the London club in the second tier.

Riga said: "My contract was only for three months to save Charlton. To get the results we got, everyone was happy, the players, the staff. I was expecting to stay.

"I was just focused on my mission, not any other challenge. That's life."

The 56-year-old, who succeeded Chris Powell in the Charlton hot-seat, stressed that it was not his decision to leave and added that he is keen to stay in English football and preferably in the Championship.

"It was not my decision," he said. "I have enjoyed the last two months in the Championship even when it was quite difficult with lots of games. For me it is very good memories.

"I would like to stay in England now. I wasn't aware of the level of the Championship but that makes the beauty of football in England. Hopefully I can stay."

When asked if any clubs had been in touch regarding vacancies, Riga added: "I have heard about Blackpool and also Birmingham, so we will see in the next weeks."

Blackpool are managerless after Barry Ferguson left the club at the end of the season but Lee Clark is currently in charge of Birmingham, who survived on the last day of the season.

Charlton have been strongly linked with a move for Waasland-Beveren head coach Bob Peeters and the move could now be confirmed by the end of the week.