York v Fleetwood postponed

  • Last Updated: May 11 2014, 8:07 BST

Hull referee Carl Boyeson said he had no choice but to postpone York's Sky Bet League Two play-off semi-final against Fleetwood.

Bootham Crescent was hit by rain on Saturday
Bootham Crescent was hit by rain on Saturday

Boyeson initially delayed the first leg's scheduled 7.30pm kick-off for half an hour after a late pitch inspection, but further downpour's left water on the playing surface and he was forced to postpone the fixture.
He said both York manager Nigel Worthington and Fleetwood counterpart Graham Alexander had fully supported the decision.
"Obviously when I arrived at the ground there were concerns about the pitch and the weather," said Boyeson.
"It was holding water. At 7.15pm it stopped raining, but the pitch was still unplayable at that point.
"I gave the groundstaff 45 minutes, with it not raining, to get the pitch in a position where we could play the game.
"But unfortunately during that 45-minute spell it started to rain again and the harder the groundstaff were working, the worse the pitch was getting because of the rain.
"I can't say enough about the effort the groundstaff have put in to get this game on, but they've been beaten by the weather.
"You don't expect the game to be called off in May because of rain, but with it raining all day a decision was made at 7.50pm to call the game off.
"Both managers supported me throughout, they were patient, they listened, they went out there when I asked them to look at the pitch.
"They both supported myself and my colleagues from start to finish and both agreed that a spectacle like this, the semi-finals of the play-offs, you don't want anything put to chance on a pitch like that.
"It's stopped raining now and the pitch could be playable, but in 10 minutes it could be torrential and that's the way it's been."

The game has been rearranged for Monday night, kick-off 7.45pm. Tickets for the original date will still be valid.

New Sky Bet customers: Free matched bet up to £30