Carlisle left on the brink

  • Last Updated: April 29 2014, 23:50 BST

A review of Tuesday's action in Sky Bet League 1 as relegation-threatened Carlisle could only draw 0-0 with Crawley.

Andy Drury: Couldn't break the deadlock
Andy Drury: Couldn't break the deadlock

Carlisle must beat League One champions Wolves at Molineux on Saturday to give themselves a chance of goal-difference survival after a 0-0 draw against Crawley at the Checkatrade.

Carlisle, winners of only four games since the turn of the year, edged the opening exchanges and David Amoo had a shot blocked before a David Symington cross was turned over the bar by keeper Paul Jones.

Winger Andy Drury threatened for Crawley with a low rasping shot which keeper Jordan Pickford pushed around a post.

Pickford did well again to dive to his left to keep out a low goal-bound shot from striker Matt Tubbs.

United had a let off when a defensive slip by Reece Brown let in Jamie Proctor and his angled shot flew over eight minutes before the interval.

Proctor was off target again after defender Mark Connolly provided a teasing cross to the back post just after the break.

Carlisle came close to breaking the deadlock after 57 minutes when midfielder Liam Noble's shot rattled the crossbar.

United's Brad Potts later drove into the side-netting before Noble's goal-bound shot was saved.

Tubbs, put through by Proctor, should have hit the target for Crawley when blazing over in an even contest.

Proctor might have snatched victory in stoppage time but his shot was well saved by Pickford.

Oldham and Sheffield United stretched their unbeaten league runs thanks to a 1-1 draw at Boundary Park.

Ex-Oldham striker Chris Porter hit a late equaliser for the Blades, cancelling out a first league goal by Wales defender James Wilson.

Oldham snatched the lead after 17 minutes when Connor Brown's right-wing cross was headed firmly into the bottom corner from eight yards by Wilson.

Jonson Clarke-Harris fired just off target for the home side and United's Stefan Scougall curled a shot inches wide after neat footwork inside the box.

The visitors missed a glorious chance after 33 minutes as Jose Baxter pounced on a defensive error and went clean through on goal only to be denied by keeper Paul Rachubka.

Oldham defended well under growing pressure and they also had a slice of luck midway through the second half when Blades defender Terry Kennedy headed against the bar.

United grabbed their equaliser six minutes from time when substitute Porter slotted home from four yards after superb play down the right by Jamie Murphy.

United are unbeaten in seven games while it's now nine without defeat for the Latics.

New Sky Bet customers: Free matched bet up to £30